Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Men Who Make Me Watch Dramas Against My Will: Ahjussi Edition

It's been a while and I've realized that I need revisit this topic of actors who I love so much I watch pretty much anything for them.  I realized that I need to pay homage to the Ahjussi in my life, because as I grow older, the oppas I like are pretty much all really ahjussi.  Am I really that close in age to 40?  Eek!


Yeah, that's the definition I'm going to use for Ahjussi- 40 and up.  Omo, do I love the ahjussi these days.  I find myself way more attracted to them, and able to connect to them, then say, those puppies in the high school dramas.  Yeah, when I do watch the high school dramas I am checking out the teacher actors, like in School 2013 or Sassy Go Go, who have some of the oppas (or donggaps) that I love.  So here is a list of "Ahjussi" actors (some of who are just barely 40) who I would watch anything for, or have watched complete nonsense for, or would just love to see in everything.  Can't they just be in everything so the quality of everything goes up?


I realized I can't say I've picked a lot of dramas JUST for these ahjussi, because more often than not they will not be a main character.  Such is the life of an ahjussi.  The leads go to those young pups who may or may not be able to act.  But instead, these ahjussi make shows better, or tip the scales so I'll watch it in spite of the actual leads or length of the show, or plot, etc.


Uhm Ki Joon

Uhm Ki Joon or "Grumpy Cat" really sparked the need for me to write this post because I would watch anything for him, and have just watched something really bad for him (cough cough Golden Cross cough cough), so he was a prime example to get me thinking about what ahjussi I have watched lame or silly dramas or movies for.


In fact, I'm still going to watch I'm Not a Robot, even though Dong Ha declined it because my Grumpy Cat is in it.  I hope it's still worth it and not another Grumpy Cat mistake. I have also watched countless YouTube clips of him in musicals.  I really need to go to Korea just so I can see him in a musical because I just love him so much!


Choi Won Young

I first fell in love with this barely ahjussi in Heirs.  I can't say I watched it for him, because I didn't know who he was yet, but I kept watching it partially because of him.  Now he is a factor in which I will choose dramas to watch.  I was on the fence about watching Laurel Tree Tailors because 50 episodes, which can be hit or miss.  But I kept looking at him in the promos in that pink suit, and I had to, I just had to!  His hair!!!!!  Ra Mi Ran and Lee Dong Gun were factors as well, but he is the one who tipped the scales.  I may have to just own all the songs he sang for it, because I still get Susanna's Handkerchief stuck in my head.


Now I loved Laurel Tree Tailors, but it was a risky gamble to make, because you never know with those 50 episodes ones.  But I definitely feel compelled to watch everything this man is in.  I just love him.


Lee Beom Soo

This one might be my most guilty loves, because I watched Boorim School for him.  He was the evil dad of Hong Bin... yeah.  He wasn't even a main role.  The whole time I was watching it, I was like: Beom Soo!  Why are you in this!?!?!  He is worth so much more?  But I guess ahjussi have to pay the bills too.  They get by on their talent, even though I also think he is a handsome, but short man.  It was the same when I was watching The Prime Minister and I.  The whole time: why does he have to put up with Yoona?  Can we just have a plot where he and Yoon Si Yoon are buddies, without the no-act Yoona involved?  Worse plot/situation for a drama ever.  Whatever.


After watching him in History of a Salaryman and Last, I wanted to just watch everything he's ever been in.  He was wasted in Triangle too, which I liked well enough because Kitty and Turdface are both decent actors too, but they just started writing him out of it and making it the Kitty show, which I can't complain too much about, because I love Kitty and he was the one the story focused on the most, but couldn't it have been more about the bromance than the romance?  Please?

I'm glad he's making movies and getting the respect he deserves there.  Now time to go find a way to watch Operation Chromite...


Shin Hyun Joon


I also watched Boorim School for him, and he had a larger part, but his talent was sorely wasted on that lame show.  But that is not the only thing I've watched for this man that I have regretted.  I also watched Marrying the Mafia 2 (sequels are never equals) and it was pretty bad, as in cheesy.  I'm sure the original was not so horrible, but this was not the best.  I don't completely regret it, but I'm not proud that I watched it.


Lee Sung Min


Lee Sung Min is amazing.  I would watch anything he was in.  Thankfully, he's not in too many horrible ones.  Well, of course he is, but that was in his early days when he had to play bit parts.  Like he was in My Princess, which was a horrible show, but I remember him being one of the good actors, even though his role was not likable.  But I love that he was the president, because I loved him as the King in King 2 Hearts.  I just love him, and will probably keep watching mostly good shows for him, because he makes everything better with his cute smile and awesome acting.


Cha Tae Hyun

I also don't think I've seen anything super bad for Cha Tae Hyun, but maybe some mediocre things for him.  He's just so good that I get satisfied with even the cheesiest.  That's probably why I've watched My Sassy Girl like 3 times.  It's also why his cameos in the worst dramas are just the best.  Best part of Moonlight Drawn By Clouds (which wasn't that bad, but still).


One of the best parts of Legend of the Blue Sea, because My Sassy Girl cameo.  He and Jo Jung Suk just acted in circles around the Lee Min Ho- but they are just amazing while, you know, normal.  I have totally considered watching Jeon Woo Chi and wished that someone would sub it somewhere.  He was my favorite part in The Best Hit, and I just wanted him to confess in The Producers, he was the one I cared about.  You get the picture.  He's awesome, and I love to watch him in anything.  It doesn't matter.


Park Hyuk Kwon


I've always loved Park Hyuk Kwon, because he's awesome.  But now I fondly refer to him as Gil Tae Mi, because he was phenomenal in Six Flying Dragons, and I was sad when his character died, even though it was a great and glorious death scene.  But I would watch anything if I knew he was in it.  I want to watch Super Family 2017 because he's in it.  I have no idea if it's any good, but it looks great.  I've watched horrible dramas with him in it, and he made them better (like Trot Lovers) but I don't know if I've willfully picked a bad drama just for him... yet... I probably will in the future.


Yoon Sang Hyun

Oska!  How much do I love him?  A whole heck of a lot.  Enough to want to watch ALL his dramas, although I am no where near that yet, and I'm trying to restrain myself with some.  He gave me second lead syndrome in I Can Hear Your Voice.  At one point I had no idea how Lee Jong Suk was ever going to even have a chance with her, but that happened.  Oh well.  But that was a good example of a drama I watched for him (along with the rest of the cast).


A horrible example would be My Fair Lady (aka Take Care of the Young Lady).  I don't regret how sexy he looked in it, but it was a pretty horrible show, with Yoon Eun Hye being the bitca spazcakes, which I liked as it had a very different dynamic with a poor male lead and a chaebol female lead.  However, it was still cheesy and bad, with lots of slapstick Oska being beat up by Spazcakes.  It's okay, Oska, I love you anyway.  Complete with your little scruffy stash.  Mmmmm!


Sung Dong Il


When I was making the decision to watch Legend of the Blue Sea, I was struggling.  I love Jeon Ji Hyun.  I don't love Lee Min Ho.  Then I saw that Jo Jung Suk was going to have a cameo in it, as a merman.  I had to, but to watch just for a cameo was a bad idea.  Then I heard that Sung Dong Il played the villain in it and I was hooked.  I had to.  I love this ahjussi.  As the dad in all the Reply Series, or as the bad teethed villain in any sageuk (I swear he must ask for them to make his teeth bad, because every single time!) he is just the best.  He is a fantastic actor and a great person.  I definitely count it a plus if he is among the cast members of a drama I am deciding to watch.


Jang Hyuk

Please Teach Me English.  Haha.  It wasn't good, but it was still fun.  I'm automatically going to consider a Jang Hyuk movie or drama, I just am.  I haven't gotten around to watching all of them, but you never know.  I've got time.  I tried watching Beautiful Mind, because, you know Fish Bangs too, but I struggle with doctor dramas, and I wasn't in the mood for it, but you know I'll probably watch it and many more for this man.


I watched all of Chuno, which Curdy couldn't handle, but you know was really amazing.  Because this man.  Mmmm.  Yeah, he's good.  I really need to watch The Flu, apparently, because it was so good it got my little brother going like I normally do during any drama ever, and he usually just watches, but it was so good he got too into it.  So yeah, I'm pretty sold on watching anything for Jang Hyuk.  I even watched parts of The Successful Story of a Bright Girl, which was from 2002 and was the original pairing of the Jang couple (Jang Hyuk and Jang Na Ra) and was a cheesy as heck.  Yep.  Sold.


Lee Sung Jae

Whether the nauseating villain in Gu Family Book, or the Black Pearl Ahjussi in Warm and Cozy, Lee Sung Jae is classy.  I love his face, smooth voice, and acting chops.  He whips out complicated kings and bad dads like a breeze, and I love him.  He rocks facial hair more than most people too.  Rawr.




Park Won Sang

I can't say I've picked a drama for him, because once again the main leads make a difference, but I am always happy when Park Won Sang pops up in the cast to make the show hopefully a bit better.  I loved that he was in Golden Cross briefly, to make it a little better.  I loved him as the Alfred in Hero.  And I was super in love with him in Last (which is an amazing show, btw).



I am always excited to see my ahjussi around- this is literally what I call most of these guys, but he's the most consistent "Ahjussi."


Son Chang Min

I love Son Chang Min.  He made me ship him in so many dramas, like Unkind Women, where he and the older sister were just so cute and I wanted a man just like him.  He also can play some really shady characters, he is so good at being maybe good, maybe bad, like in Pride and Prejudice.  But I have to say I definitely finished watching My Daughter, Geum Sa Wol, just for him.  He was the villain, and you could tell he didn't take that makjang fest seriously.  It's fine.  He still went for it.


His character was so over-the-top bad, haha.  I loved it.  I love him.  He is a sexy, classy ahjussi.


Lee Seo Jin

I can't say that Marriage Contract was horrible, it was pretty good.  But I can say that it wasn't my cup of tea, because cancer and single moms is just too sad.  But it was strangely good, because of Lee Seo Jin in part, being so good at what he does.


I've called him my ahjussi spirit animal, and that just makes it better.  I'm definitely always on the lookout for a Lee Seo Jin drama or movie, because yes, yes, yes.  His dimples!


So, yeah, this list probably could go on for longer, because the more I thought about it, the more I realized there are so many ahjussi that I just love, and when I see them in a drama, I get excited and say: "I love him!"  They deserve every bit of the love too, because they are amazing!  I just thought of more, such as Ji Jin Hee, Kim Soo Ro, and Ma Dong Seok, etc., but I really need to end this post... but I love them!... no, end the post, before it's completely too long.... maybe I'll write a part 2.... stay tuned?