Thursday, January 9, 2014

104. Trot Lovers 트로트의 연인 (2014) Korean

Ji Hyun Woo, Jung Eun Ji, Shin Sung Rok, Lee Se Young

Drama Rating: 5/10      Neck Score: A

This one started out so good.  Musicals are not my thing, but this one was the right style, as in the plot wasn't focused around a musical or production, it was just about people in the music industry.  Also I didn't know about trot, which now I like.  Mostly I decided to watch this because of the peeps in it.  I like Ji Hyun Woo, I love Eun Ji, and then when I found out that Shin Sung Rok was going to be in it, I was sold.  The first half was super good too.  Funny, full of good music, and great characters.  I loved Sung Rok's weird other guy role.  He literally saved the plot when the bad tropes came pouring in.  Yep, this perfectly great story with the cutest couple ever got every lame plot device ever tossed in.  Amnesia, parental drama, and then the "I have to leave for a year, wait for me" crap.  Because there was so much drama right until the last episode, it made it feel like it was rushed and dragged out at the same time.  While the awesomeness of the characters helped these horrible tropes feel not so bad, I am still sad that this was the path this drama chose to take.  There could have been a better plot than that.  Seriously.  Anyways, the peeps I already loved, I loved more.  Also there are tons of side characters that developed nicely too, with some side peeps romance, that also helped during the dark times of amnesia, etc.  Still liked this show, but it could have been so much better.  I actually think that Shin Sung Rok's character literally saved this show, and I loved Ji Hyun Woo in this.  But Shin Sung Rok was like a ray of sunshine with crazy, happy, funness.  He never got annoying as an other man and there was a little bit of bromance that I loved.  Plus his neck... whew!