Wednesday, January 8, 2014

95. Triangle 트라이앵글 (2014) Korean

Lee Beom Soo, Kim Jaejoong, Im Siwan

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A

This drama was WAY better than I expected... but then I had pretty low expectations and literally watched it because of Kitty.  He was probably the most impressive thing about this.  His hotness (already off the charts) increased ten fold at least in this drama.  His acting was always pretty decent, but he's gotten so good.  His performance as Young Dal was amazing.  The drama is a bit on the long side (with 26 episodes) and so gets a bit draggy in the middle when you just want the pudding faced bad dude to get his comeuppances, and they keep throwing even more bad dudes into the mix.  More thugs that are good with knives, more ambitious directors finally making moves.   I also really loved Lee Beom Soo as the bad-a, anger management needing, police detective (some times called patch beard by me).  He really brought his character together.  I think one of the most redeeming qualities of this show is the character development.  Kitty starts out as a street thug that, while he is sympathetic and loveable, is still a jerk and pathetic piece of trash and by the end he is successful and happy and everything is good.  I really wanted them to give me a reason to like the turd faced little bro (Im Siwan).  That dude has some acting chops because I hated his character so thoroughly that I literally just called him Turd Face the whole time.  I wanted him to start to hate his pudding faced adopted dad and do something that would make me like him more, but his character was consistent too.  That's good character development.  Even when the characters grow and change they are still obviously the same character and that is good.  Well played if not well written.  So yeah, it did get a bit cray cray, but since it was a psychological action revenge thriller and people were constantly almost dying, it's an easy step to take.  At times I was right there with Kitty, wanting to beat the crap out of the bad guys too, but sadly I was held back too, not by my buddies but by the fact that it was just a show I was watching.  But while it went a little too long in drawing out the bad guys managing to stay on top so as to wrap everything up in the last to episodes, I still think that they managed to keep the drama pretty solid. Also all the girls in it were pretty solid, awesome girls who could pull their own weight.  Yes!