Wednesday, January 8, 2014

51. Reply 1997 응답하라 1997 (2012) Korean

Jung Eun Ji, Seo In Guk,  Shin So Yul, Eun Ji Won, Hoya, Lee Si Un

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A

I don't know why I had to be a butthead and resist watching this one for so long.  I absolutely loved it.  I knew I would.  But lizabreff kept pushing me to watch it, so of course I dug my heels.  We all do that.  The great thing about this show is that it's nostalgic, quick paced and builds off of it's own mosaic narrative.  It flashes back from the present as they are all 30 year olds to the past in 1997 when they were all high schoolers in Busan.  There is the mystery.  Who is going to announce their engagement?  Who is already married?  Who likes who, who ended up with who and what.  It is all about the kpop craze from H.O.T to the Sechs Kies (which Eun Ji Won belonged to- classic meta joke) to DBSK.  As we watch them grow up and the story unfolds.  One of the best "coming of age" type dramas every.  But you'll probably only appreciate it, or appreciate it more, if you grew up in the 90s.  I am definitely a 90s girl, even though I was probably only in middle school in 97... but that would require math for me to actually figure out that... yeah.  Remember pagers?  Remember mixed tapes and waiting in line for forever to buy tickets?  If so, this show with hit home and you'll love it.  Also, I've mentioned this before, but Seo In Guk = yes.  Very yes.  This was the show that really made me love him 100%, even when he was my favorite character in Love Rain.  But I was hating "Hyung" (Song Jong Ho) too much because of simultaneously watching it with The Princess's Man.  Oops.  What was I supposed to do?  This was the happy show that kept me happy while watching the intensely bloody and dramatic sageuk.