Sunday, August 19, 2018

316. Sweet Dreams 一千零一夜 (2018) Chinese

Dilrumat Dilraba, Deng Lun, Chen Yi Long, Zhu Xu Dan, Wang Rui Zi, Liu Qiu Shi

Drama Rating: 4/10     Neck Score: A

The premise of this one had so much promise. But it sadly strayed way too far from the premise. I loved the dreams part, where she invaded his dreams and had control over them, saving him from the dragon as well as trying to get revenge on him for treating her like crap in the real world, but in the end it just became a overly dramatic corporate drama, which I tend to struggle with more when it comes to the Chinese dramas. They are just more horrible? I don't know, they're all bad. But the whole dreaming part ended way too quickly for the 48 episodes.

So much unethical crap. He owns this flower company. She's his obsessive fan girl who has been trying to get into the company to woo him for three years. Their dream bracelets get linked, that is fine. But also we have an evil international corporation that is trying to buy out the popular flower company, and they pull in some evil spies to take down the company from within so they can buy it for dirt cheap. That was bad enough, but then even further down the line we find out that the corporate spies are actually there for revenge, so they don't even just want to take down the company for easier purchase, they want to annihilate the CEO until he is ruined forever, or maybe even so he commits suicide. Right? Super lame. That's not what I signed up for!

The worst part is that one of the corporate spies is the second male lead, who I totally shipped with the best friend character, but of course he fall in love with the main girl, who has eyes only for the main guy (even when she hates him because he treats her like crap). Lame love line crap. There is also another love line where the secretary loves the head of marketing (one of the founders of the company) who also loves the CEO main guy. She is also a bit obsessed and does all sorts of unethical things to keep the main girl away, until she suddenly gets convinced to love that secretary fellow and she becomes a nicer, softer person. Whatever.

Anyway, I was so over the corporate spy thing already, but when it suddenly became about revenge, I hated that. Because that cute little second male lead kept forcing himself to be a bad guy without even fact checking the fishiest backstory about the death of his father, and getting fed lies that his father (who was set up to be one of the nicest men ever) would demand revenge on the next generation to rest in peace. It was complete bull. It was just so ridiculous that when we find out that he should have fact checked, and that he was also part of the revenge, we can only laugh.

Thankfully, it got better when all the characters hit rock bottom, because then it could only go up from there. I had 6 episodes left, but they were better than the previous 6 episodes, so I actually made it to the end with less pain. It's still a show that was almost Fall In Love With Me bad. But this one didn't give me any PTSD, it just made me groan, FF, or multitask every time certain people were on the screen. It was the perfect show to pack to, since I didn't care if I missed some things. Actually, since I don't want to miss important information, I would just mute it when certain people were talking. Then the show tried to punk us several times. Yeah, no. Not cool.

So, yeah. Disappointed!!! As much as I loved all the actors in it, I was super disappointed at how ridiculous the show was. Give me a whole show of just the dream sequences, and a real life plot that is still tied to the dreams, I'd be all over that. This was, sadly, not it.