Friday, August 17, 2018

311. Miss Hammurabi 미스 함무라비 (2018) Korean

Go Ara, L, Sung Dong Il, Ryu Deok Hwan, Lee Elijah

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A-

This was much better than I thought it would be. As much as I love L and Go Ara, they aren't strong actors. However, my love for Sung Dong Il is enough to surpass anything. Plus I had heard good things from people who had started it. So I caught up... super fast. It was one of the better legal dramas I have seen in a while. Those usually tend to be too much for me, too much court room sensation, drama, the works.

I liked how they one tacked some hard topics, and called out the crap that happens in and out of the court in a more classy, non-traditional way. Like how they presented both a positive and negative examples of what consent looks like: This isn't what consent looks like. This definitely isn't either. Now this: this is what it looks like. Isn't that much prettier? Aren't we excited for this couple's consensual relationshipping?

I was super invested in the Lee Elijah, Ryu Deok Hwan couple. They were my OTP. The main couple were slow moving and had better friends chemistry than lovers. So it was a good thing that we had some grown ups who could help us in the romance department. For real though, not a great kiss scene for our main couple! (Maybe made worse by a good make out scene from the other couple before it. Sorry, but the pros went first, hard luck). But I liked the character development for all the characters involved. We see how jaded L is at first, and how green and naive Go Ara is, and then how complacent Sung Dong Il is, and then the three of them all change for the better because of how they work together. That dynamic was great. Their court team was probably my real OTP. Team Court 44 FTW!

The thing I didn't like so much was the ending. I know it was supposed to be idealistic with the younger generation showing the older generation they could change, but I am still worried about Dong Il's family. He's got 2 daughters for crying out loud! Why does someone have to take responsibility like that? I thought it was a lame twist that didn't need to be there and kind of soured the ending for me a bit. Especially since he was my favorite character, but, you know, whatever. It worked and it didn't drop my final rating that much. I might have considered an 8, maybe, but I'd day it's a solid 7.