Sunday, November 15, 2020

428. Stranger (Secret Forest) 2 비밀의 숲 2 (2020) Korean

Cho Seung Woo, Bae Doo Na, Choi Moo Sung, Jeon Hye Jin, Kim Young Jae, Lee Joon Hyuk, Park Sung Geun

Drama Rating: 9/10     Neck Score: A

Stranger, or Secret Forest, is one of the best dramas I have ever watched. So there was no way I wasn't going to watch the second season, albeit with some trepidation that it wouldn't live up to the first season. And while I didn't like it as much as the first season, it was still really good and of a similar quality. The biggest difference between the two shows was the focus, which actually flavored this season a lot. The overarching situation in this season was the battle between the police and prosecution for investigation rights. So it was even more political than normal, and it also made it so my two best friends didn't get to spend as much time being the power partners, since they were representing two different sides of a fight. This tainted the flavor of the show for me, because my favorite part of the show has always been the incredible and respectful partnership of Si Mok and Yeo Jin. I just wanted more of them teaming up and less of them being awkward around each other because they couldn't be on the same side. However, there was still enough of that to make me happy, and confident that they still had that partnership/friendship chemistry.

I did wish a bit that I had rewatched the first season before watching it. At the time I didn't have time, but now I'm wondering why I didn't, haha. I thought I had remembered it well enough, but it seemed like everything that they references were the parts of the first season that I didn't care about as much or just didn't remember. The business drama plot, with the evil conglomerates pulling strings. This lead me to just being like: Am I supposed to know who this person is? What? That person was in last season? What are they even talking about? etc. Because of this, I had to look up a lot of things, which would have been easier had it been more fresh in my mind. But I have heard others say watching season 1 first wasn't necessary. I say it totally is, because there are so many relationships and plot points that just wouldn't make as much sense, or be as poignant if you don't have that background. Things pick up almost where they left off. Yes, it's been several years since the first season, but major plot points are in direct relation to season 1 and they don't take time to explain relationships that are already established in 1 either. Plus, season 1 is just so much better, so you'd be denying yourself a great blessing, because the first season is amazing. Season 2 is great, but it is better with the proper set up of the first season.

So, yes, it was good. Definitely watch season 1 first. Season 1 is definitely better. But do I still hope they make a season 3? Heck yes! I feel like there is so much more they can do with these amazing characters, and I will definitely be there for it if it ever happens. There is so much depth to all the characters and so much commentary on how complicated society is, and that nothing is black and white, and that corruption can sneak in to even the most just of people.