Friday, August 17, 2018

312. The Undateables 훈남정음 (2018) Korean

Namgoong Min, Hwang Jung Eum, Choi Tae Joon, Oh Yoon Ah, Jo Dal Hwan, Jung Moon Sung

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+++

And another one where I wasn't sure how I felt about it and it exceeded my expectations. But maybe in reverse? I was excited about it, but then I kept hearing other people not being into it, but my love for both Namgoong Min and Hwang Jung Eum made me start it anyway, and it was just what I needed. Curdy and I watched it together and loved pretty much every minute of it. There were a couple of spots where we were worried, but it was never bad and had lots of great moments, and lots of couples to love.

It made more sense when I learned that it wasn't Jung Eum and Namgoong Min who were undateable, but that they were going to have to work together to match make the undateables of the matchmaking company she worked for, that made lots more sense. It was like a clever plot title, not a stupid whatever title.

I also loved how sincerely they played their characters. Only Namgoong Min could play off that childlike chaebol with such finesse and make it not just another chaebol with daddy/mommy issues. I also found it weird that as much as I loved Choi Tae Joon's character, it was facinating how even though he was a super nice guy, you could feel how burdensome he was at the same time. It was a better case for why the perfect other guy doesn't get the girl despite being perfect? Also, the fact that the chaebol wasn't really a jerk but a genuine nice guy too helped.

We also couldn't help but love the hot mess that was the noona/manchild couple. The little cousin who suddenly became a "player" and was a complete idiot, despite the fact that he fell hard for the swimming coach noona was just a crazy hot mess. I mean that too. But in spite of the fact that the manchild was an idiot, Jung Moon Sun played him so sincerely. He was a loveable, dorky, idiot who had some great character development. Everyone did. Actually, Jung Eum probably had the least amount, but even she had some. She had to learn to trust again, etc.

I thought it was fun. It had it's ridiculous parts, but they established early on that the show wasn't going to take itself too serious and it was supposed to be ridiculous and silly, and that made it okay. The rules were established. It was something you could just sit back and enjoy. Especially because Namgoong wore a lot of really nice pants. I think the most often said comment between the two of us was: "Mmmm, his bum."