Monday, August 28, 2017

Day Two: First Official Day of K-Con LA 2017

So starts day two of our K-Con adventure, this one is focused on exploring, since we had some flexibility.  It started later, so we got there later, and miraculously missed all the traffic.  Our hotel was farther from the convention center, but still situated so that we would miss the bad traffic if we left at the right time.


No one died while I drove in LA.  In fact, I was once again pleasantly surprised at how decently everyone was driving, not that I loved the traffic, it was just more predictable than freeway traffic where I'm from.  People know how to merge a bit better, haha.

So we made the mistake of getting valet parking at this place not too far.  That was fine, it was only $7 for the day, but if we weren't back at 6pm, then they would charge us $20 for overnight.  No big deal, the convention is over by then... famous last words, right?

We had made use of the K-Con Trading Group on Facebook to score us some Vixx Audience Passes.  We traded two GOT7 Audience passes and $20 for three Vixx passes, and it was a happy day.  We took care of that first thing as we got in.  Yes!  Relief was on us.  We'd get to see our boys.


We started with lunch, because we didn't really have much for breakfast- we never bought milk for the cereal we bought, which left us with granola bars, eek.  So we hit up the Korean street market outside and got us some lunch.  It still felt early, so we started with kimbap and a melonade with snow.  


It was probably the best thing we got at the street market for food anyway.  Although Lizabreff couldn't help but say that "yours is better," in reference to the kimbap.  She just likes the seasoned tuna I make (thanks Maangchi).  The melonade was refreshing.

So we spent the day going to the expo and checking out workshops and panels.  Basically selling our souls on social media to get free samples of things.  It was great.  Right as we went back in the Innisfree booth was starting a free give away, that had lots of free samples, lots of photo opportunities, and lots of cute workers to make us not care about jumping through all the hoops for the free stuff.


This one was sort of surprising, but I liked the part where we got to help put together a mosaic with lego blocks.


The highlight of today, of course, was Sam Okyere's meet and greet.  We went early to get awesome seats, right up front and center.  It was awesome.  He is just a great, nice, sweet, and handsome man.  One of the best meet and greet panels I've been too... except the moderator didn't know what she was talking about and kept making it about her randomly.  Tsk tsk.


He knew what was what too.  He talked about diversity and loving different cultures because of the differences.

He also talked about food.


Then he was so awesome and made sure that everyone got a picture with him.  We were in the front, so you'd think that would help us... haha.  I've never seen a room line up so fast.  We were the stupid ones who went the wrong way and ended up at the very end of the line.  The only bad part about that is that if my timing worked out right, we'd be getting our pictures taken right at 6pm... which meant that maybe those selfies would really cost us $20 for parking....


But it was worth it.  It wasn't just a photo, he was hugging everyone!  He's probably one of the nicest people in the world!  #noregrets.

And really, no regrets, because we booked it out of that room and to our car as soon as we were done, and since we were only like 15 min late, it wasn't a big deal and we didn't have to pay for anything extra.  Huzzah.

Our next goal was dinner- sushi.  We planned our meals around the kind of foods we wouldn't be able to get at home with the same quality, and sushi was at the top of the list.  Seafood in general was.  Landlocked states can't compete with coastal sushi.

We found one not too far away that had good ratings.  My only regret is that we didn't just part there all day and save us the parking fare.  Parking! (fist shake)  Arashi Sushi was amazing!  We happened to get there right during happy hour, so we just kept on ordering more and more sushi, because it was super cheap and super delicious.  Well, except I couldn't resist one of the full priced specials.


This was called the Garlic Lovers Albacore, and it was literally heaven.  I couldn't even share, it was way too good (and I do feel bad about that, sorry Lizabreff and Curdy).  We have documented evidence that I cried with happiness saying something like: "It's so freaking good!"



So much pretty....





This was just the first round.  We ordered more, but as we were too far gone in ecstasy, we forgot to take pictures of them.

Now I might cry again, because it will be forever before I can have sushi that good again.  I need to move to the coast.  I love seafood too much!

Funny story: on the way out, we're at a stop light and I look over to the dude about to cross and he waves at me.  First thought: he's hot and waving at me.  Second thought (as I wave): hey, that's our server, totally recognizing us and waving.   It was funnier for the other two, since they didn't recognize him in time and just thought I was waving at a hot Asian guy.  No, I kind of knew him!  He waved first!  Of course he was going to remember the three white girls who love sushi way too much (to the point that I freaked out, haha), two of them even wearing sushi shirts.  I'd say we were probably memorable.

I want to go there again.

The night was still young, so we decided to hit up the movies again!  We had one other option, Battleship Island, and why not?  So Ji Sub, Song Joong Ki, and Hwang Jung Min all give ample excuse.  So we rushed right back to Koreatown to go to the CGV Theater again.  It was a lot busier this time, since it was night AND K-Con was in full swing.  We barely found parking in time to enter the theater right as the the credits were starting.  I knew it was more expensive, but I didn't know it was because it was a 3 screen movie.  It's better than 3D, let me tell you.  You feel surrounded by the show, it makes you feel more inside it.


So, you can find my review for Battleship Island here.  We were sad that this would be our last movie, because Midnight Runners doesn't come out until next week.  Boo.


I love that they validate parking for 4 hours!  The last place that would, sniff.

So, we finally decided to get some milk, in another trip to the H-Mart, where I found this:


I really hope that is a huge thing of Yakult type deal.  The family size.  Someday, I'm going to find a half gallon of Banana Milk and drink it all (not at once, just all for me).  The cashier and bagger were totally flirting with us during checkout, until they realized we were at K-Con, and then then acted all cool, like they weren't interested in that stuff at all.  Whatever dudes, you're still cute.

And so we returned to our hotel, tired from much different things.  End of Day 2 of our vacation.  Stay tuned for Day 3- Concert Day!  Or catch up on Day 1.