Friday, August 25, 2017

K-Con LA 2017: Day One of the Trip

My one vacation this summer was K-Con, and though it was ridiculously expensive to go, and the most inconvenient time to go (I work at a university and the first day of school was the Monday after K-Con.  Did I also mention I'm in charge of training all the new hires?), I do no regret going at all.  I normally get super drained and traumatized after going to conventions full of people and too many people, and spending too much money.  As far as I know this was not the case this year, and I had a really good time.  From horror stories I heard from years past (2014 to be exact) this year seems pretty decently organized, and I'm glad.


Because this was a longer vacation, with four days to cover, I'm just going to give you a play by play of each day and tell you everything we did and what we ate and everything.  So here is Day One of My K-Con LA 2017 trip with Lizabreff and Curdy.


To get the most out of our trip to LA, our flight left insanely early Thursday morning and dropped us in LA at the early hour of 9am.  After stocking up on food necessities to cut our breakfast expense down (at least), we decided to hit the beach first.  Early registration wasn't until 1pm, and we couldn't check in to our hotel until 4pm.  So we planned our day around those times.


The beach was wonderful of course.  Long Beach.  Love how many people just run on it, especially all the shirtless dudes.  Mmmhmmm.  Actually, I was just jealous because I would love to do my running on the beach, but I guess I'll be content with foothills and roads.


Then we went to Koreatown and watched A Taxi Driver.  We were the only white girls in there.  Also by far the youngest people in there.  Did I mention that it was the 11:15 showing?  Yep, at this matinee it was just us and a bunch of halabeoji and halmeoni.

The movie was so good.  It made me feel all the emotions!  Read my review of it here.


After the movie of course we had to stop by the H Mart and buy a bunch of snacks because we were headed to early registration and we were going to need them for all the line waiting we'd have to do.


It wasn't actually that bad, I just like to complain.  We came at the perfect time to avoid all those early birds who lined up before registration even started.  At this point, it was just early afternoon.  And this was all my P2 ticket got me.  Which would be fine, if I wasn't just more interested in seeing Vixx or Girl's Day.  No Hi-Touching for me.


After early registration we needed real food, because we were getting hangry, so we headed back to Koreatown for some BBQ.

We found this hip little place, and it was really good.  Jjukku Jjukku BBQ.


I really liked that it had a charcoal feel and the little vent that was right over it.  It made it seem legit, haha.


The prices were decent too, for all you can eat.  Curdy and Lizabreff didn't care about seafood, so we just got the Classic A menu.


It was still early for dinner, so we had some very attentive servers who were way cool and way cute.  Can I also say that I loved the metal cups?  Because it did.  They were cute and fit into my hand so well.


We went through so many grills, because we ordered so much marinated meat.  Yum.


I was pretty much in love with the spicy bean sprouts.


I think this was grill 5, and we were loving it.  I do wish we had gotten more just plain meat, so I could have dipped it more in the sesame salt and pepper, which is my favorite.  It was also lacking in lettuce for wraps.


And done- 5 orders of meat, plus steamed egg soup and salad and we were so full, it was so good though!!!  We kept asking for more kimchi and beansprouts.  We always get funny looks as we keep asking for more and more kimchi.  They had good kimchi too.


I really liked their parking validation stamp.  It was one of the few places that we went that validated parking.  Those were precious places.



Then we headed to our hotel room and checked in.  We wanted to rest up for the Con, since we were going to be there all day for the next three days.

Look forward to Day Two.