Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Best and Worst of 2017: Korean Dramas and their Couples, Genres, and Endings

I thought I would join the bandwagon a bit, with this whole "best of" end of year posts, because I might not have anything better to do (maybe) or because I wanted to just take a look at what we had to watch this year.  I remember how there was a big dry spell for a while, so looking at my list, a good percentage of the dramas I watched this year were old, or Chinese/Taiwanese.  I'm not counting those in this list (obviously, since this is for the KDs), but it shows how up and down this year has been.  We've had some really good ones, and a long spell of meh.


So I went over all the dramas, and by my rating, and other things like genre and elements in the dramas, I did a sort of awards ceremony, purely subjected to my tastes and preferences in how I enjoyed the dramas I watched this year.  In reading everyone else's posts about this sort of thing.  I agreed with most people's opinions, so hopefully this isn't anger inducing at all, haha.  So here are the winners of my best, worst, and meh, etc. lists.


Overall Best:

Circle: Two Worlds Connected 써클 : 이어진 두 세계
Yeo Jin Goo, Kong Seung Yeon, An Woo Yeon, Kim Kang Woo, Lee Ki Kwang
Drama Rating: 9.5/10     Neck Score: A+

Circle wins the award of overall best drama for me this year!  It was clearly the drama I rated the highest, and I still agree with that rating.  It also has the benefit of being one of the very few (I can't think of anything else off the top of my head) Sci-Fi dramas out there, so it would have at least won best in it's genre anyway.  I loved pretty much everything about this one, from it's complicated plot, to it's method of story telling, so I definitely am awarding this one the number 1 slot.


Best Romantic Comedy:

This is a pretty high honor as well, because I probably watch more romcoms than anything else.  For me, the best romcom this year was:

Winner:
Because It's My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라
Lee Min Ki, Jung So Min, Esom, Park Byung Eun, Kim Ga Eun, Kim Min Suk
Drama Rating: 9/10     Neck Score: A

I really loved how real the characters were, even though the situation and drama was ridiculous, as most dramas are.  I also loved all three couples.  I was well invested in all three of them.  I loved that the three girls had such a good friendship.  There were some pacing problems at the end, but it wasn't enough to ruin it from being the best.

Runner-up:
Fight My Way 쌈 마이웨이
Park Seo Joon, Kim Ji Won, Ahn Jae Hong, Song Ha Yoon
Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A

A close second would be Fight My Way.  I loved the friendship turned to love.  I loved the way that it didn't change their friendship much.  I loved their chemistry.  I loved that there was a good plot to back it up.  I loved all the other characters, but not the second female lead.  I loved Kim Sung Oh.


Best Office Drama:

Winner:
Chief Kim 김과장
Namgoong Min, Nam Sang Mi, Lee Joon Ho, Jung Hye Seong, Kim Won Hae
Drama Rating: 9/10     Neck Score: A

Office dramas are not usually my favorite.  You can take your corporate crap and give it to the dogs.  But occasionally you find one that is righteous, funny, and cool.  That one this year was Chief Kim.  A clear winner for the Office Dramas this year, but also a good contender for overall best drama, scoring a nine on my scale.  I loved Chief Kim.  Namgoong Min was the best.  Even with his tacky hair color (just get over it and watch it everyone!), which fit the character perfectly.  I loved how it wasn't about the romance, it was about him fighting corruption and getting into one upping wars with Joon Ho, who was also fabulous.

Runner-up:
Radiant Office 자체발광 오피스
Go Ah Sung, Ha Seok Jin, Kim Dong Wook, Lee Dong Hwi, Hoya
Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A

This one was a close second.  I loved how it was about beating the system and working hard to prove worth.  It was also, of course, getting rid of corruption and giving people a fair chance.  I loved how Go Ah Sung just did and said whatever, but also that she grew.  I loved the ensemble and how the three friends supported each other.  It was cute and good.


Best Crime/Action/Thriller:

Winner:
Defendant 피고인
Ji Sung, Uhm Ki Joon, Kwan Yuri, Oh Chang Suk, Uhm Hyun Kyung
Drama Rating: 9/10     Neck Score: A

This is one of my favorite genres, but this is also the genre that can be messed up the most, because everything has to fall into place for it to work, while a genre like romantic comedy can fake it and be forgiven as long as the main couple has enough chemistry.  Defendant was just good.  I guess it had some things that were just ridiculous too, but it made it work.  But it's also got two of my ultimate favorites: Ji Sung and Grumpy Cat (Uhm Ki Joon).  I like how it defied the genre tropes (like the truck of death) and it made me clap and cheer.  Definitely the winner.

Runner-up:
Tunnel 터널
Choi Jin Hyuk, Yoon Hyun Min, Lee Yoo Young, Jo Hee Bong
Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A

Interesting twists.  Good bromance.  Smart and strong female lead.  Just the right amount of romance.  Interesting use of butterfly effect and then just ignoring it as well.  There were very few lapses of logic (although there were some big ones).  I overall loved it.


Best Weekend/Family:

Winner:
Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해
Kim Young Chul,  Kim Hae Sook, Lee Joon,  Jung So Min, Lee Yoo Ri, Ryu Soo Young, Min Jin Woong, Lee Mi Do, Ryu Hwa Young, Ahn Hyo Seop
Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

You could get on my case that this isn't that big of a win when this is the only family drama I watched completely in this year.  Now I love family dramas, but they have to be the right kind.  So this one wins that it was the only 50 episode family drama that I watched this year.  I've considered others, but this is the winner of actually making me watch it.  I liked pretty much all of the siblings and cared about all of their stories (some more than others) and didn't absolutely hate the parents, although they had some stupid/hateful moments, as per usual.  It was worth the 50 episodes.

Runner-up:
Go Back Couple 고백부부
Jang Na Ra, Son Ho Jun, Heo Jeong Min, Han Bo Reum, Chang Ki Yong, Ko Bo Gyeol
Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

While not a traditional family drama in the sense of the weekend/50 episodes (it was only 12), this one hit me right in the family feels.  The mom, the baby, the couple all made me cry like every day!  Darn you, family feels!


Best Sageuk:

Winner:
Queen for Seven Days 일의 왕비
Park Min Young, Yeon Woo Jin, Lee Dong Gun, Jang Hyun Sung, Kang Shin Il
Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

Haha, this was the only Sageuk I watched this year.  I struggle with watching sageuks because they are usually all the same.  But when you get a good one, it's really good.  While I struggled watching this one, it was very good and I think it deserves this title.


Solid Middle Mentions:

Now these really are the participation medals, because I watched them and they were okay good, but they aren't winning much against the much better ones.

Suspicious Partner 수상한 파트너
Ji Chang Wook, Nam Ji Hyun, Choi Tae Joon, Nara
Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

Good chemistry.  Good bromance.  Too much noble idiocy, for crying out loud!

Queen of Mystery 추리의 여왕
Choi Gang Hee, Kwon Sang Woo, Lee Won Keun, Shin Hyun Bin, Kim Hyun Sook
Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A

I liked it, but they spent too much time on things not directly related to the plot.  It ended without a satisfying ending.  Apparently there is a season two.  I would be interested in seeing that, because I wanted answers.

The Best Hit 최고의 한방
Yoon Si Yoon, Lee Se Young, Kim Min Jae, Cha Tae Hyun, Yoon Son Ha
Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A

This had potential, but was all over the place.  If it had focused on the bromance, or family relationships it would have been better, but instead they focused on the romance and it ended meh.

Manhole 맨홀-이상한 나라의 필
Kim Jae Joong, Uee, Jung Hye Sung, Baro, Lee Sang Yi, Kang Hong Suk, Kim Min Ji, Jang Mi Kwan
Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A

Once again and interesting premise that then went all over the place and turned crazy until it ended super meh.


Worst:

Winner:
Introverted Boss 내성적인 보스
Yeon Woo Jin, Park Hye Soo, Yoon Park, Kong Seung Yeon
Drama Rating: 4/10     Neck Score: A

I must have been very generous when I was first rating this one, because I gave it a 5.  It probably deserves a four only.  It was cool for the first two episodes, then it dragged on, then they pulled in a new writer and then it picked up, but was super lame, and it was just all over the place and blah.  It was probably just the biggest mess of them all and I think, from the lasting impressions, earns the title of worst.

Runner-up:
Bride of the Water God 하백의 신부 2017
Nam Joo Hyuk, Shin Se Kyung, Lim Ju Hwan, Krystal, Gong Myung
Drama Rating: 4/10     Neck Score: A+

Maybe because it is still fresh in my mind, but this is the runner-up for going nowhere.  I might have been overly critical in giving it a 4, but it was just so stupid and meaningless.  I guess it could also have been called a guilty pleasure, but it was just written so badly that I had to put it here.  I guess I didn't guiltily enjoy it enough.  Oh well.


Best Couple:

This is hard, because there are so many couples to choose from, but I think it has come down to these results:

Winner:
Bong Soon and Min Hyuk from Strong Woman Do Bong Soon


This couple was so good that it made me forget how not good the rest of the drama was.  It was so stupid compared to the OTP that it was baffling.  But their bickering, their supporting each other, the fact that he thought it was super sexy that she was super strong and could protect him, it all made for a great OTP.

Runners-up:
Ae Ra and Dong Man from Fight My Way


As I mentioned previously, their best friends turned lovers was one of the best ever.  They had the right amount of comfort/familiarity and chemistry.  They had the perfect awkwardness as they started dating and trying to figure out what to do now that they aren't just best friends, while still being those best friends.  It was nice to see.  Plus they had some steamy chemistry.  Woot woot.

Ji Ho and Se Hee from Because It's My First Life


This one might only be a runner up because it was overshadowed by its own drama, as in the whole drama was so good that you can't really separate the couple from it.  While the couple had good chemistry, it was a slow paced romance.  Maybe if the cute at the end had been an hour instead of a half... nah, it's a close second.  They all are.  I just had to pick one because yeah.


Worst Couple:

Winner:
Habaek and Yoon So Ah from Bride of the Water God


There is something to be said for apathy, and there was no couple this year that I was more apathetic about than this one.  They didn't have terribly great chemistry, which made all of their kiss scenes a bit awkward for me, and I just didn't care whether they ended up together or not, I just wanted them to stop whining about it.  I clearly watched this show for the wrong reasons, but at least they were pretty to look at.

Runner-up:
Byun Hyuk and Baek Joon from Revolutionary Love


The fact that to the final episode I could have seen her ending up with the second male lead is not promising.  I believed that both men liked her, but we didn't really get to see her feelings at all.  They kind of tried, but it didn't work.  It was more of a bromance between all three of the leads.  She was just one of the bros.  This would be fine if she just wasn't interested in a romance and went her way, but they had set up this to be a romance so hard that when it just kind of went meh it was whatever.  So meh couple wins runner up.


Best Bromance:

Winner:
Han Se Joo and Yoo Jin Oh from Chicago Typewriter


Whether in the past or the present, I loved these two together.  I loved the playful rivalry, the tricks and support.  This was a bromance that won over the romance for me, although that was pretty good too.

Runner-up:
Gwang Ho and Sun Jae from Tunnel


A bromance made in heaven.  Their bickering turned to teamwork was the best.  Their future relationship is the best too, hahaha.  They are like two halves making a whole, and I love them!


Best Second Male Lead:

Winner:
Oh Jin Gyu from Strongest Delivery Man


How did he make what appeared to be the typical rich chaebol jerk and make him sympathetic and cute.  Also, his growth throughout the drama was amazing.  He really gets full marks for his growth and endearing qualities.

Runner-up:
Ji Eun Hyuk from Suspicious Partner


I thought I was going to hate him (since I did in Missing Nine) and his annoying laugh!  But I came to love that annoying laugh.  He was great.  I loved how he was helping the couple a long, and how he was the only one in that office making money, haha.


Best Secondary Couple:

Winners:
Bo Mi and Kyung Soo from Lookout


With no real OTP with the leads, Bo Mi and Kyung Soo became the OTP.  No, I would have loved them the best even if there was a primary romance, because Seul Gi and Ki Bum are basically the best, and they had great chemistry, and they were cute and funny and had us laughing and saying "aw!" every episode.

Soo Ji and CEO Ma from Because It's My First Life


I loved the way he supported her, making her be her best self so he could cheer her on.  I love the way she softened up to him and loved him, being herself and becoming vulnerable.  They were so good for each other because they built each other up and made each other better.  They were cute and funny.

Runners-up:

T-1000 and Yeon Hee from Revolutionary Love


Maybe T-Cheon just wins best policeman ever, but this couple (or this cop) single-handedly saved this show.  His competence in life, including his dating life, was just the best.  I loved how self-absorbed she was.  Everyone else was caring about the plot, and she was focused on her love life, so when T-Cheon entered it, it was electric.  He was smooth and it was hilarious to see her fall for him.

Moo Ra and Bi Ryeom from Bride of the Water God


Maybe these two don't belong on here, but they kept me watching.  Krystal isn't the best actress, but I loved her conflict, and resting bitca face.  It was the perfect foil to his devotion and constant grin.  I loved his working on her, or the way he finally broke her down through his teasing devotion.  Maybe I just love Gong Myung too much, but this couple was sparky enough to make the drama worth it for me.


Best Friends:

Ji Ho, Soo Ji, and Ho Rang in Because It's My First Life


These girls are #friendshipgoals the way they comfort each other, party, fight, and just be with each other.  It was so real.  It was marvelous.

Dong Man, Ae Ra, and Seol Hee in Fight My Way


Childhood friends with bonds stronger than anything.  They would fight and squabble and tease, but when it came down to it, they would do anything for each other.  They would get revenge for each other.  Even if it means taking down a friend for 10 years.

Ho Won, Ki Taek, and Kang Ho in Radiant Office


These three little ducklings are just the cutest.  Struggling together really brings people together.  They just grew so close and took such good care of each other.  It was adorable.


Biggest Surprise:

I guess it's pretty award winning when you go into a show with no expectations and are pleasantly surprised, or if you keep dreading the worst and the show tricks you in a good way.  That's what these dramas both did.

Winner:
Tomorrow With You 내일 그대와
Shin Min A, Lee Je Hoon, Kim Ye Won, Jo Han Chul
Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A

I kept thinking this one was going to be awful, but it kept proving me wrong, and though it was meh in the middle, it ended kind of cool, so that was awesome.  Pleasantly surprised.

Runner-up:
While You Were Sleeping 당신이 잠든 사이에
Lee Jong Suk, Bae Suzy, Lee Sang Yeob, Ko Sung Hee, Jung Hae In
Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

I had no expectations about this at all, but I can't not watch an Lee Jong Suk drama, and I was very pleasantly surprised.  I thought just Suzy was going to have those dreams, so that twist where that wasn't the case was a cool moment for me.  I loved pretty much all the twists they had, it kept it fresh and from sucking.  I liked it.


Biggest Disappointment:

These are the ones that I wanted to be better, so desperately.  Then they hurt me with being so very far from their potential.

Winner:
Missing Nine 미씽나인
Jung Kyung Ho, Baek Jin Hee, Oh Jung Se, Choi Tae Joon, Lee Sun Bin
Drama Rating: 5/10     Neck Score: A

This started off so good, when they were on the island.  The drama was so good because it was survival, every day was life and death.  Then it was all the sudden ridiculous politics when then were all rescued, with murderers running free and all that rubbish.  Then the one thing that was keeping me going, the OTP, was not fulfilled and THEY DIDN'T EVEN KISS!  So disappointing.

Runner-up:
Revolutionary Love 변혁의 사랑
Choi Si Won, Kang So Ra, Gong Myung, Lee Jae Yoon
Drama Rating: 5/10     Neck Score: A++

Maybe I am just comparing it too much to Chief Kim, but it had potential to be a very revolutionary, but was all over the place and bad.  Like that ending, what the heck.  That "love story," ... wut?  It was disappointing because it could have been better, but was just "what the heck."


Worst Ending to a Good Drama:

Lookout 파수꾼
Lee Si Young, Kim Young Kwang, Kim Tae Hoon, Kim Seul Gi, Kim Ki Bum
Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A++

This show was so good!  Until the last two episodes which were so bad and anger inducing that it dropped the show down by two points and made it so I felt like I couldn't recommend it to people.  I mean, what the heck to that ending!  It was just the worst.


Guilty Pleasure:

Wednesday at 3:30 수요일 오후 3시 30분
Hong Bin, Jin Ki Joo, Ahn Bo Hyun, Cha Jung Won
Drama Rating: 5/10     Neck Score: A+

This is like a participation award almost, only because it was such a pleasure too, just because we love Hong Bin and it induced much giggling, we enjoyed every bit of it.  Yes!

Meloholic 멜로홀릭 (2017) Korean
Jung Yoon Ho, Kyung Soo Jin, Choi Dae Chul
Currently Watching

Haven't finished this one, but boy do I feel guilty watching it.  Probably because it is over sexualized, more than an American show because it is way less subtle, if that is possible.  It's outright embarrassing, but is it also hilarious.  Eek!


Hardest to Want to Finish:

Temperature of Love 사랑의 온도
Seo Hyun Jin, Yang Se Jong, Jo Bo Ah, Kim Jae Wook

I'm still working on it.  It just seems like it's going on for forever, the same lame drama that could be avoided if they just acted like decent people instead of wishy washy selfish people.  Groan.


Should Have Watched, but haven't (yet):

One of the problems of watching shows together is that everyone has to be in the mood to start one.  Also, it limits time.  But then if you don't have time to watch one, but everyone wants to watch it, you end up putting it off until it's over.  I also have a bad habit of putting off the ones I feel like are going to be good for a "special" time, which then never happens, because I waste all my time on lesser dramas.  Also, the Kocowa fiasco.  So here are the ones that I have heard super good things about, but can't be on my lists because I didn't get to watch them yet:

20th Century Boy and Girl
Witch's Court
Rebel
Secret Forest
Save Me



Ugh, this was way too much work.  This is why I don't do this sort of thing often.  I probably bit off more than I could chew.  Oh well.  These are obviously just my opinions and personal feelings about the dramas that I personally watched this year.  It wasn't a bad year, considering even the worst dramas I watched I rated only 4.  But I did avoid the ones that seemed too bad.  But I also had several 9s, which is a rare score for me, so overall, this year has not been that bad.  Not at all.  Some dry spells, but also some good solid shows.  I'm pretty satisfied.