Friday, November 24, 2017

282. Go Back Couple 고백부부 (2017) Korean

Jang Na Ra, Son Ho Jun, Heo Jeong Min, Han Bo Reum, Chang Ki Yong, Ko Bo Gyeol

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

I was expecting more humor with this, with everything the ahjussi/ajhumma back in a 20 year old's body plot could bring.  I was expecting all the pain and tears that this would bring.  Seriously, every time they would do the happy family/cute baby montage with their kid Seo Jin, I would lose it.  So would they.  I'd lose it with the mom stuff too.  This was a beautiful show about family and making your marriage work.  It was less about the romance because of that.  Our couple was already in love, we were just watching them realize what it was that was keeping them from that.

Before I started this, I heard a bunch of people who said they hated Son Ho Jun's character.  I may be biased, but I never saw that.  Yeah, he was acting less smart at times.  They were a couple who were pretty much divorced, you can't expect either of them to be not petty at first when given this opportunity.  But this is a show about people who made less good choices getting a second chance so they could make the right choice.  It was about words too long unsaid, or words that should have never been said.  It was about healing and growing.



I actually had a harder time connecting with Jang Na Ra's character, which is strange because I love her so much, but it was all the writing for that.  This show, I feel, focused more on the husband's growth.  We were able to see his realizations and efforts to change and to grow much more.  The wife we only saw her pain.  She held on to grudges and she internalized so much that we were less able to see her change until much later.  While it still happened, it was just slow and made me less able to see her point of view.  I didn't agree that it should have all been his change, but the show ended up focusing more on that.  But when she did have her chance to show her emotions and change, it had us balling.  That was pretty much the entire show.  Laughing one minute, balling the next.

I also don't agree with most everyone falling for the second leads.  I loved that they were both nice people, and maybe if this had been the first time they were all twenty, I would have been tempted to root for them, but they were so obviously old that it made it impossible for there to be any romance.  I love how no matter what they still acted and viewed the world as an ajhussi or ahjumma, and so they would see these people their own age or even technically older than them as children.  They would take on a uncle or aunt's interest in their well being rather than romantically.  It made for a nice dynamic as they ended up giving their first loves advice.  So I get that ROTC boy was cute, but he was so clearly too immature for me that I don't understand everyone liking him better.  I was too busy dying every time I saw the husband being a good dad in every montage ever.  I also am just plainly in love with Son Ho Jun.

I am glad that it was wrapped up well.  I could have watched 16 episodes of it, especially if it meant time to redevelop their romance, but I appreciated how succinct it was as well.  I really loved it, and I would have loved more happiness for our poor couple at the end.  I generally just loved this show.