Tuesday, July 30, 2019

345. WWW: Search 검색어를 입력하세요: WWW (2019) Korean

Lim Soo Jung, Lee Da Hee, Jeon Hye Jin, Chang Ki Yong, Lee Jae Wook, Ji Seung Hyun


Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

I both loved this drama and got bored with it at the same time. I loved the three powerhouse women and their complicated and awesome relationship. I loved seeing them at work and together. For the most part I loved seeing their relationships, but I feel like there could have been less of some of them. In particular, I think they wasted too much time on the Ta Mi and Park Morgan couple, especially since it was a lot of the same things and was the main cause of the show being draggy. I'll be honest, I paid the least amount of attention to all of their scenes. On the other hand, I could have watched much more Hyun-Ji Hwan scenes, and ate up every second of Ga Gyung and her husband. I wouldn't have minded slightly more of them. But, ultimately, I just wanted more of the women being awesome.

This really was the show that we needed, focused on three women in the internet industry because it not only showed women in strong positions and highlighted some of the struggles women in the workforce face, but it also highlighted a newly powerful industry that hasn't really had as much focus: the internet search engines. Showing how much political and social power search engines have today was super fascinating, from the real time search trends, to social media and vlogging. Showing how it could destroy lives, cover scandals, or shoot someone to sudden fame was really interesting. I especially loved the constant discussion of ethics on the internet and how search engines need to be non-biased and impartial, fighting even the government to protect the privacy of the users.


I do have to say that it was great that a story about three women had good examples of men too. They were all respectful and let the choices be up to the women most of the time. Not that they didn't do stupid things or make mistakes (throwing someone under the bus to protect someone isn't cool, dude) but ultimately they supported their women, which was beautiful. Giving the choice whether to give someone their number, letting them make that choice for skinship or no, letting them go in for that kiss first, and supporting them to live their best life even if that means she isn't going to be in his life anymore.

Back to the women. I loved that we have three very different examples of strong women. The rational and levelheaded Bae Ta Mi, the physically strong, justice fighter, muffin Cha Hyun, and the calculating, timing/game master Song Ga Gyung. Their strengths are all very complementary, and all I wanted the whole show was for them to be a team and take down all the evil people. Speaking of which I love love loved the villain of the piece, the evil mother-in-law played by Ye Soo Jung. Having seen her play her fair share of cute grandmas and sad moms, having her play and strong and domineering businesswoman who is using people right to left and is the queen of manipulation (both political and financial) with such grace and ease, I was super impressed. She was so good at being frail that seeing her be so strong was awesome.

So, it's not perfect. They wasted a bunch of time on things that I thought were less important. Like additional drama in the romances that didn't need to be a focus (we don't need first loves and mom drama. The show isn't about the dudes). I really wanted more of the actual plot and thought that they put off repairing the relationships between the three women for too long. That being said, they might have redeemed it all in the last 5 minutes of the show. The very ending was so beautiful (especially after being bored by stuff I didn't care about in the last episode) that I squealed. That was exactly how it should have ended and I loved it. I wouldn't mind a second season, provided that they focused it just on the ladies and them banding together to take down all the evil peeps.