Saturday, July 20, 2019

342. The Secret Life of My Secretary 초면에 사랑합니다 (2019) Korean

Kim Young Kwang, Jin Ki Joo, Kim Jae Kyung, Koo Ja Sung

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

How did I forget to review this when I first finished it? I loved this drama and was completely lost when I finished it because I didn't know what to watch! I totally love watching anything with Kim Young Kwang in it, but he really was made for this role. Or this role was made for him? He shined like he never has before in this. I loved it. And now I'm a super fan of Jin Ki Joo too. She's so cute and great in this. I thought she did a super job too. And most importantly, they had the best chemistry, which for a romantic comedy, is super important.

But what makes this drama so delightful was that it wasn't a classic love triangle. I hate love triangles, they are so overdone. They are so badly done half the time too. So having two couples to love was absolutely wonderful. I absolutely loved Veronica Park. Kim Jae Kyung did a fantastic job making a lovable, over-the-top, MVP, rich girl who really was one of the smartest people in the show, even if she didn't mean (or want) to be. I loved her romance, I loved the friendship, both with Gal Hee and her little sister, she was just fabulous!


Yeah, the show wasn't perfect. There was plenty of times where I was rolling my eyes. I especially didn't know what was going on with the non-romantic plot line. Like, what were all the other secretaries doing and why was that kid trying to kill Do Min Ik, etc. But, it was one of the better face blindness dramas of that trend. Sometimes it just seems like that is something they throw in for no reason, or to be trendy, but it was built into the plot pretty good. I mean, it was the plot and I thought it was handled well and made for some good moments. Although I did wonder at him not recognizing voices and stuff sometimes, especially with Gal Hee, who he should have recognized more than anyone else, but I guess if he were new at it, it makes more sense that he hasn't developed those skills as much yet.  But it was a bit suspension of disbelief a times how long it took him to figure it out.

But the show was so fluffy and cute that I forgave and forgot anything that wasn't perfect. It was definitely something I looked forward to every week and even surpassed other favorites at the time (such as Her Private Life) as the drama I looked forward to the most each week. I think it was that chemistry (between the whole cast) and the funny. It was a true romantic comedy, because even though there were times where it looked like that guy was out to get him, it wasn't ever scary or stressful. Even those moments were funny.

But, before I end this: standing ovation to her oppa, PD Joo... wait, what's his real name? I've been a huge fan of him since King of Dramas, but I still just call him PF Joo, tsk tsk me. Seo Dong Won! I love him so much! He always manages to make every character so lovable and relatable. His was the best blind oppa ever. He might be the best oppa ever. I loved him. The little sister was good too, but annoying sometimes, but her relationship with Veronica Park made up for her bad decisions.

So, basically if you need a good rom-com, this is a good rom-com. There is some frustration of how long the situation is dragged out, which is typical rom-com business, but it might be less frustrating if you binged it, instead of having to wait week to week just to have him not figure it out again. I thought it was still worth it, especially since the mopey episodes didn't drag on and forgiveness was prevailing in all the relationships. Friendships were not broken and bromance was beautiful. I liked it. A lot.