Friday, March 6, 2020

410. I Bought My Boyfriend With A Loan 彼氏をローンで買いました (2018) Japanese

Erina Mano, Ryusei Yokohama, Ikumi Hisamatsu, Yuriko Ono, Yasushi Fuchikami, Kyoko Hasegawa

Drama Rating: 1/10     Neck Score: A

The moral of this story (I'll just tell it now) is that I make bad drama decisions while waiting for Pillow Book to get subbed. I was bored, I hadn't watched a Japanese drama in a while, I wanted it to be like Kimi wa Petto and it was not. I guess I watched it so no one else has to. It was so baffling that this will now be full of spoilers.

It was basically an eight episode long rant about how society and feminism have ruined traditional gender roles by forcing women into the workplace. I'm not sure how much was tongue in cheek, but it made me angry and completely flabbergasted most of the time. The main character is working at the reception desk of a major company, a contract worker, and her main goal in life is to become a housewife. There is apparently a tradition, complete with a manual passed from receptionist to receptionist, of working there to snag an elite spec husband. This manual is full of things like: "never show your true feelings," "always smile," and "never be annoying."



Ukishima is in the coveted center position, and she is dating one of the hottest elite spec employees at the company. But, she is also constantly catching him cheating on her. Each time he insists the girl is some sort of relative, and the manual state that she must implicitly believe him each time. She even has to introduce herself each time she meets him with a girl out and about as just a coworker. Then each time, a day or so later, it is made obvious that the girl was not a relative as she finds Ukishima and acts like the bitter and dumped side girl she is. She is naturally frustrated.

Then, Ukishima also the legendary writer of the manual, who is now a single mom working as the manager of a convenience store. That doesn't seem to be able to knock sense into her. Instead she introduces her to her "stress relief." Buying the debt of dudes being sold on illegal websites so they will be a debt slave to them: grateful, loyal, and absolutely subservient to them. Ultimately you know she's going to do it, and it happens, and it just gets even more messed up from there. When they say stress relief, it might mean sex (and mental abuse) for the mentor lady, but it apparently means physical and emotional abuse for Ukishima. She needs someone to be her punching bag and ranting ear. That also made me angry.

Honestly 85% of the show is just her and her mentor lady ranting about gender roles and comparing them to the animal kingdom while they treat their debt slaves as less than human, constantly telling them that they aren't even men but trash. The main arguments are things like the destruction of gender roles is causing divorce, the destruction of society, and the declining population growth rate. Then, ultimately, there is no character growth, and a shocking lack of any real resolution. Maybe a bit of Stockholm Syndrome too. Obviously they fall in love, not sure why, cuz she just abuses him, so he... helps her get together with the cheating spec guy. She marries him, get pregnant, gets frustrated again because hormones, buys her boy back and will now have some weird kind of threesome or cheating thing going on, since she knows he likes her now, and he's fine with being her slave.... I dunno, it ended so we don't know how that's going to work out, but she's got her thing back and it's apparently going to help her be a good mom and housewife.... barf.

It was like a mad mess of crap that I kept watching to be confused and astounded at. A train wreck I couldn't look away from even though it made me feel like rage crying at how absolutely garbage propaganda it was. I'm surprised I didn't rage quit, but I really kept wondering if it would manage to redeem anyone or anything, but it only kept getting worse and then ended. It was short, probably only around 4 hours. I'd want those hours back, but I was bored that day and wanting to kill time anyway. I managed to beat many levels of my phone games while watching it, so there is that.... yeah. It was messed up trash. I need to really start something quality so I'm not so upset about how long it takes to sub things when they're really being subbed so very fast. This is all a bad side effect of my apparent drama slump. Get me out of this hole.