Saturday, July 20, 2019

343. Angel's Last Mission: Love 단, 하나의 사랑 (2019) Korean

Shin Hye Sun, Kim Myung Soo, Lee Dong Gun, Kim Bo Mi, Do Ji Won, Kim In Kwon

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A++

I think this show might be more fully appreciated if you happen to be a Myung Soo fan, which I am. I was sucked right in because of him. I love him and fully acknowledge he isn't the best actor, but I was super impressed with him in this. He is definitely getting better, which I love. Another you just have to know from the start is that it's one of those impossible situations full of forbidden love, so it's going to be a cry fest at times and then fall apart at the end because the set up make a happy ending that makes sense almost impossible. That is, it's possible, but the writers seemed to not want to use logic, so it kind of got weird at the end. But Myung Soo still made it worth it for me. Also, Lee Dong Gun. I love him. I especially love how he can be the second male lead/antagonist/villain and still rock it, being lovably loathsome, etc. Not that his character here was loathsome, he was an antagonist at best. But he rocked it, despite the writing of his character being weird. Like motivation-wise.  Basically the writing wasn't terrible, but it went downhill a bit as the drama progressed and went to pot by the end.


So we got an angel named Dan who is about to enter paradise when he gets mixed up with a blind ballerina with a terrible temper, who can sense him. Blindness powers? Maybe. He gets curious and ends up saving her life, which is apparently against the rules. This makes her become his last mission before he can enter paradise. He needs to make her feel love again. Is this the setup for a tragic love story? Oh, yes it is.

And it had some wonderful plot twists. I was super surprised and interested at the end of episode 8 when we get hints of the tragic backstory of our second male lead and everything gets super interesting. Wasn't expecting that, super fun stuff. However, by the second half of the drama the same stuff just keeps repeating itself as the bad guys keep trying to be bad, getting stopped. Our couple  plays ring around the roses as they figure out how tragic their love is, keep stuff from each other, try to run away, and then come running back instead. Then there are the other two dudes who are like: lets stop these two before they actually become a tragedy. Repeat this for a few weeks before then making up nonsense for the end. And I mean some confusing nonsense.

Yeah, so it definitely has struggles. But it kept me coming back every week. But maybe because I love Myung Soo. That couple had really good chemistry too. It made me root for them, even when it was ridiculous to because it was going to take a miracle for it to work out. But then, it is a drama about an angel. Miracles is what it's about. But I was expecting a different miracle. The concept of deity was weird. It was like some weird hybrid of western/eastern deity. Like they made it seem like it was a Christian deity, I guess for the angel part, but the concept of afterlife was much more Buddhist to me. With paradise being nirvana and didn't they mention she was going to be reborn? I mean she kind of was since she looked just like that other girl... Idk, it was just confusing, but whatevs. The deity can do whatever they want, and of course that's going to be deus ex machina. I just wanted one that made a bit more sense.