Tuesday, May 22, 2018

302. Switch: Change the World 스위치 - 세상을 바꿔라 (2018) Korean

Jang Geun Suk, Han Ye Ri, Jung Woong In, Jo Hee Bong, Shin Do Hyun, An Seung Hwan

Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A

So, this started out really great and then kind of fell apart near the end, and maybe redeemed itself a bit, but not enough to be as amazing. The most amazing part is Jang Geun Suk playing two characters to the point that we believed he was two different people. Having tender moments with himself, aw. The worst part was that the subbers were extra slow and even when the episodes aired on Wednesday and Thursday, some weeks we didn't get to watch it until the following Monday, and even then that might be at the 94% (which means more like 76% for how relevant the information in the unsubbed scenes is).

So we have Sa Do Chan, the con artist, and then we have Baek Joon Soo, the prosecutor. Then we have a common enemy, Geum Tae Woong, and a balance between what the law can do and what a conman can. That premise alone was pretty good, and I was so excited to have Jang Geum Suk back on my screen that I was willing to watch pretty much anything for him. I had/have a serious love for him (as is shown in the fact that I watched Pretty Man, Mary Stayed Out All Night, and You're My Pet- twice- just for him).



I really loved the dynamic between Sa Do Chan and Oh Ha Ra. They had all the chemistry. Friends, partners, a couple... (I still ship them so hard!) Not that she didn't also have good chemistry with Baek Joon Soo (they're the same person!) but he was boring. I was team komsaggi all the way! But I really just loved the whole team, whether the team of con artists or the prosecutor team. When they were working together or no. It was beautiful. I was impressed at how hard working everyone was. I loved Director Bong, the acting master. I loved Investigator Go, that adorable teddy bear. I had an nickname for almost everyone. Which is generally a good sign, because at least I am enjoying the characters. Stay tuned for a nickname post. I feel it coming.

The problem was that the writing fell apart. Jang Geun Suk and Jung Woong In were acting their hearts out, but the writing was just getting crazier and crazier. Even con shows need to be rooted in reality a bit. But they were resurrecting people just to kill them off, planning elaborate plots just to have the villain be too smart and always one step ahead, every single time. It was just too much. We definitely started making fun of it.


It really had to be dramatic, right up until the end, which was ridiculous. So the writing wasted a lot of good potential, but there was a lot of fun things in it all the same. Plus we had some good acting and actors, even if they couldn't show their fullest potential because bad writing. But it was still fun, and if you watch it now you won't have to deal with the slowest subs of all time, so that's a plus. Just don't expect succinct writing and so expect some hilarious over dramatic plot crap. Also expect Jang Geun Suk being sexy, because he is.