Wednesday, January 8, 2014

94. Dr. Stranger 닥터 이방인 (2014) Korean

Lee Jong Suk, Jin Se Yeon, Park Hae Jin, Kang Sora 

Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A

This was one of those dramas that I loved while I was watching it, but during the week I would forget how much I liked it and would have to force myself to watch it again when the next episodes came out.  Then I would remember that I liked it and all would be okay.  I think that this drama suffered the  most from trying to be too many things at once.  It was a doctor drama (not my favorite ever), a North vs South political drama (more liked by me), a revenge drama (I'm totes ok with those), a romance love triangle type deal, a evil puppet master pulling strings drama, and a finding my lost mom drama.  Yep, too many things at once, so I feel like some of the aspects weren't as developed as they could have been.  Such as revenge boy actually enacting his revenge.  I loved that side plot, but it really was like an after thought when it finally happened.  I wanted it to happen sooner so North Korean Boy and Revenge Boy could continue their bromance.  That part was my favorite part.  I did really like how most of the characters were well developed so that we could relate to them.  At least with the four main peeps.  The bad guy was as two dimensional as they come.  Seriously well played, but just a bad dude who pulls strings and kicks puppies or threatens to kill moms, etc.  The last few episodes were probably the weirdest in being both rushed and then draggy.  They kept throwing in things when it could have wrapped up nicely, but they did need to get rid of ALL the bad guys (since there were like 3 or 4) and then have it come full circle to show the depth of true love.  Also you always gotta throw in a "One Year Later" time just so that everyone can be happy, show how they've grown, and get as many people together as possible.  Still, even with all that silliness, I still liked it.  Especially the four main characters.  Lee Jong Suk and Park Hae Jin rocked their bromance and respective characters.  I think Lee Jong Suk was what really got me through it.  But I was also really impressed with both girls, especially Kang Sora, who made her other girl character likeable and very sympathetic.  She was awesome.  So even if it's too much and too intense, I still enjoyed watching it, just taking the overdramaticness with a grain of salt... maybe multitasking during every operation scene.  Too many of those (darn doctor dramas).