Wednesday, February 19, 2020

402. Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착 (2019-2020) Korean

Hyun Bin, Son Ye Jin, Kim Jung Hyun, Seo Ji Hye

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

I'm trying to not be bitter, but apparently I was way too angry with what happened in the last episode to do that, so I'm not sure how fair to the rest of the show this review will be. I have a bad habit (in all dramas) of investing too much into the secondary couples who always get shafted and never get enough screen time and then if there must be a tragedy it happens to them, because that way people will still view the entire show favorably because the main couple still gets a happy ending... well that's crap. Like I said, I'm bitter. Is this too many spoilers in the first paragraph? Oops. Well, honestly, besides the fact that my favorite couple got ruined, this show was fun. It wasn't super well written or even really realistic, but it was very enjoyable and addictive. It had that squee factor, I guess. It did the ensemble super well as well, which means that we cared about everyone in the show and not just the main couple, which is probably why it hurt so much. One thing the show could have more of though was editing. The episodes were just too long. I like my hour long shows please. Why we had to sit through an almost 2 hour final episode when all the joy was sucked out of it in the first 15 mins in beyond me. I was bored and disinterested for most of it. Probably because it was also draggy and I was in a bad mood by that point. But really, the rest of the show was fun to watch. Like I said, I'm obviously still too bitter.



The show was rather predictable, there are only so many ways they can resolve such a problem as love across that border. But thankfully that is a big enough drama creator that they didn't throw in too many of the typical tropes. Our main couple was fairly cute the entire time, and they were also fairly mature and communicative the entire time, which is apparently a standard of quality in my mind these days. I can't take much of the miscommunications. Ri Jeong Hyuk was a role that Hyun Bin was made to play. He did so well with the serious, bad-ass, but adorable captain of a North Korean Special Forces unit. I love that he was also just one of the guys when that troop got together, especially when they would collectively try to figure out what this crazy South Korean lady was about. The dynamic between that ensemble was just great. I loved each of their characters.

I also really loved the village ladies who took Yoon Se Ri in as one of their own when she was stranded in North Korea, hiding in the border camp, and trying to support her "fiance" so he could help her escape that much faster. I loved her living in that village so much I wanted her to stay there, since she was obviously happier there (when not in fear of her life) than with her terrible family. I actually loved how terrible her family was. They were lovably despicable. The actors they chose to play her two oppas were perfect, and it didn't hurt that I already loved them from other roles they've played. They need to keep going places because they are awesome.

Then, like I said, I loved the second romantic leads. Even as stand alone characters they were great. I loved how collected and boss Seo Dan was, very serious, but with a flare and power to do what she wants, even when she can't. She was a perfect match for the flashy conman Gu Seong Joon, who was actually just a puppy at heart and needed someone just like her to make him embrace his good side, but also keep him on his toes. But also, because he softened her and gave her what she deserved (bitter spoiler note: for like 2 seconds *shakes fist*). Their dynamic was cute and hilarious and I was 110% for it- to the point that their scenes were the ones I never multi-tasked during- so that's why I'm being so ridiculous in my petty bitter feelings.

Can I also just say that I loved and hated the villain, because Oh Man Seok is an amazing actor who could bring that ridiculous villainous character to life and make him the most relatable scum to be feared, loathed, and loved all at once. Plus, he's just awesome, so it's always a pleasure to watch him. The part that made him less realistic was mostly just in the writing. He got a little OP there in the end, a bit like the energizer bunny who just keeping going, and coming back, and getting all the help he needs to keep going and going and going....

So yes, ultimately I loved the show, despite the episodes being so long and them breaking my heart (even when I ultimately knew that was going to happen). They had a great cast, a decent plot (even if some of it was way too unrealistic) and all around great chemistry. It's worth watching (I suppose) especially if you want something that will put you through all the feels, whether deserved or not. I better get my bitter self away from this, before I get even more petty. The end.