Sunday, March 14, 2021

438. Love Unexpected 不可思议的爱情 (2021) Chinese

Fan Shi Qi, Qi Yan Di, Wang Xu Dong, Shen Yao, Zha Jie, Wang Xu Dong

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A

I started this one because I wanted something fluffy, and then stopped it because it looked too cheesy and Ke Si Yi seemed annoyingly cheerful and air headed. But for some reason I went back to it the next day because I had nothing better to watch. After getting further into it, it totally surprised me with the premise, which wasn't what I expected it to be at all. I knew it was about an emotionless man and an overly emotional girl, but it's totally sci-fi because they get it switched so that he ends up feeling her physical pain and she can feel his emotions. Suddenly, it became super interesting. I also grew to love the overly emotional mess that Ke Si Yi was, and was super impressed with the dead pan, emotionless acting of the male lead Xu Nuo (props to Fan Shi Qi, he did a great job). It was a very interesting concept to have a couple fall in love when he literally can't feel emotions, but she can feel his. Interesting in how she distinguishes the two emotions and how they can also get confused. It definitely surprised me as it became the show I was looking forward to every week, which was hard because it wasn't getting subbed fast enough for me. It would thankfully be done by the end of the week (right before the new episodes came out), it's just that when you know they are there, taunting you, not getting subbed, it was hard to be patient. But I guess my impatience speaks to how well I loved this show.

I was really invested in all the characters. The second couple was super cute and fun to watch. It was a great dynamic in general, since all the girls in the show were MMA fighters, but each had their own distinct characters, from super feminine and cute, to more tomboyish. I also loved how the guys fell in love with them in part because they could totally break them in half, being attracted to their fighting prowess and awesomeness.

I loved the pacing of the story, and the organic development of the love story. I seemed to happen really naturally, especially since it was also a bit of an enemies to lovers story, since she literally is working for the bad guy, becoming his body guard to save her MMA team and gym. He is keeping her near him because that way he can somewhat control her getting hurt (with the pain he will only feel), but in doing so they get close and fall in love, naturally. I loved that her emotionality both exasperates him, but also that he respects it as skills he doesn't have.

But it did get a bit annoying when there is the inevitable break up. However, I did love that it was for a better reason (still noble idiocy and annoying), and that it wasn't because she lied to him. I absolutely love that he knew she was lying way before it came out in the open, and that he didn't care. He totally understood where she was coming from and trusted her. I freaking loved that. The amount of trust in that couple was beautiful. The ending felt too abrupt. I think a lot of people felt that, since apparently there is a special with an alternative ending. I need to find out if it is subbed anywhere, because I must watch it. I need more of them being cute, since they didn't have as much of that near the end (but boy did they have it before things went to crap). So I loved it, but it could have been a bit better. I guess I loved this couple too much to want to see 4 episodes of them not being together, even if it was to wrap up the plot reasonably. But I wasn't into the corporate take over plot, only the romantic plot (which was way more emphasized most of the time) so any time away from one of the couples was wasted time to me. But still, it's ultimately a cute, fun show.