Sunday, March 14, 2021

444. Falling Into You 因為我喜歡你 (2020) Taiwanese

Puff Guo, Jiro Wang, Zhang Ben Yu, Chen Jiong Jiang

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A

I realized that it had been a while since I've watched a Taiwanese Drama (I've been focusing on Mainland China lately) and so I browsed what was there, and I realized that I had missed watching this drama with Puff Guo, which is terrible because I absolutely love her. I will watch anything and everything for her. Added bonus was that Jiro Wang was her male lead, and I don't mind that one bit. He's hot. So I immediately pressed play and it immediately filled the hole that my last fluffy drama ending had created. It was so cute and fun. I loved that it was shorter (13 episodes) so they didn't drag things out or waste time on unnecessary stuff. I loved that it was once again about a fighter girl, this time a taekwondo athlete, and a dude who falls in love with her because she's an awesome and a fighter, and I love the mutual respect. Were there still some problems? Yeah, it's awkward at times, but ultimately it was cute, fluffy, and funny. It was even on the meta side, especially with our self-centered, bubbly start up CEO male lead who thinks of himself as the male lead of a drama anyway, and so is constantly referencing it.

So, Chen Zi Tong is a taekwondo champion who gets injured and loses everything at the same time, including her best friend, boyfriend, and mom. Because of this she turns into a cold, stone faced loner, focused on making money. She gets a job as a courier in a quick delivery startup owned by Fang Zhisheng. He is the flashy, outgoing type, so her tunnel vision business only persona rubs him the wrong way. He misunderstands her as cold-hearted and only caring about money. She thinks he's an annoying rich boy who has always had it easy. Because he's nosy and over-the-top, he decides to make her his personal assistant to find her weakness and get revenge, she agrees because she needs the money, and then of course they slowly become friends, then lovers. So yes, it's another enemies to lovers, in a good way. Best moment: learns she's probably a famous athlete, searches her, sees her win a champion match (and smile for the first time), his reaction: 😍😍😍. But I guess he also had hearts in his eyes the first time she popped in and beat up a bunch of thugs who were threatening him.

I felt like the pacing was perfect for solving all the plots and tying all the loose ends. Because it was so short, they didn't waste anytime with misunderstandings or being overly dramatic. The initial misunderstanding is only at the beginning and then once again we have a couple who trusts each other completely and supports each other in their respective skills, talents, and goals. If they fight, they're working it out immediately. It was very refreshing. Plus, lots of eye candy. I still can't get over every time Jiro wore glasses, and her brother's sexiness is like a personal attack every time he's on the screen. I'm ready for a noona romance if that's what the younger guys look like these days (um, the second couple is like 45 and 35, so it's not even that big a deal- we're all adults here). So yeah, highly recommend it as a cute, fluffy, short drama. Although, there is a lot of blood in some flashbacks, because of course Zhisheng has a traumatic past. Because of course. But still solved quickly in the 13 episodes, so not complaining. I loved this drama and literally binged it over one weekend. It's fun.