Wednesday, January 15, 2020

359. Psychopath Diary 싸이코패스 다이어리 (2019) Korean

Yoon Si Yoon, Jung In Sun, Park Sung Hoon

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

I don't know if I've ever seen a good psychopath thriller comedy that isn't just a super dark thriller that also happens to be funny in spots. This was a comedy that just happened to feature a psychopath. I wouldn't say it's scary really, but I would say that the acting was super good and did a pretty decent portrayal of a psychopath serial killer. But, considering the premise, you do have suspend a lot of disbelief too. It's literally a show about a pushover who loses his memory and is handed his identity in the form of a diary detailing the murders of a serial killer. Rather than freak out and reject that identity, he tries really hard to live up to it and be the psychopath he thinks he is. I guess it helps that he was a thriller junkie and has every thriller and horror movie ever memorized. That part didn't get lost when he lost the rest of his identity, to our own entertainment.



They really picked the best actors to play these characters. I knew as soon as I heard it was Yoon Si Yoon (and you might know I'm already obsessed with him) playing the wannabe psychopath that I had to watch it. He is one of the few capable of playing both adorable puppy and creepy psycho, in the same scene even. I was also really impressed with the real psychopath who managed to maintain that while still playing the comedic elements, such as the psychopath being really confused as to why this boy is acting like that. It was wonderful to watch his fascination, confusion, and frustration. I had to look up Park Sung Hoon because he looked so familiar, and I had, indeed, watched many of his previous dramas, but they were smaller roles. I hope this becomes a breakout for him. He's good.

I also loved the direction it took with our cop who could be a detective (if she wasn't running so hard away from that, but in the end can't help but want to solve cases) working with the wannabe psychopath to try to figure out who the "predator" killer is, but he thinks it's him so he's also trying to stop her from figuring it out so he's not caught, while the real killer is trying to frame him for his crimes so he can get away with them. It was a delightful watch.

It was a bit over the top at the end, I don't mean the climax, but the very end when they are wrapping up all the loose ends with the flash forward a year stuff. Not the worst flash forward, it almost feels like an epilogue rather than the actual ending, so it was ok. Silly, but ok. But like I said, it's pure comedy with the thriller theme. Not a misplaced serial killer like some romcoms these days, but a well integrated thriller comedy. I highly enjoyed it.