Wednesday, March 14, 2018

290. Two Cops 투깝스 (2017) Korean

Jo Jung Suk, Hyeri, Kim Sun Ho

Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A+

I don't know how we were so talented at forgetting what was going on in this show every week. We didn't watch it while it was going, but we did watch it once a week on schedule for our girl's night with my sister, and it was surprisingly forgettable. I liked it when it was going, but it wasn't very compelling. The parts that gripped me the most were the bromance (naturally) and the second couple. I loved the second couple. They were my OTP... well, if the bromance wasn't the OTP for reals. We especially forgot that Hyeri was in it, because she really wasn't important to the plot at all. In the second half especially because that's when the true drama began. When it became about the bromance instead of the love triangle.

So the plot wasn't bad or anything, it was that the writing was pretty sloppy. Not super bad, just all over the place. This made it hard to follow, easy to forget, and not very compelling. They were too draggy with the whole partnership thing. It took them half the drama to figure out how the possessing part worked. They didn't trust each other for forever, and fought all the time. This just made it less watchable.

But I have to give mad props to Jo Jung Suk for pulling off both characters so well. You knew that it was Gong Soo Chang in Cha Dong Tak's body. It was beautiful. He was amazing. I really loved Maknae (Kim Sun Ho) as the spirit of Gong Soo Chang as well. All I wanted the whole time was for them to be partners and the bromance to be real. It took way too long, but when it happened, it was awesome. It kind of made up for everything else.

We also all struggled with the endless scenes of the bad guys talking in the sashimi restaurant. Literally every time the Blueberry Tart (my name for that pie faced villain) was on the screen I zoned out. It didn't help that my sister's kids were constantly distracting me, but it is much harder to want to pay attention if the bad guy gets too many boring sashimi restaurant scenes. It did spark a realization though. You know someone is the villain when they hold their meetings in the private room of a sashimi restaurant. Only villains and corrupt politicians eat there. Good guys all eat samgyeopsal at BBQ places (unless the boss is buying the beef).

You know who else stole the show? Lee Si Eon as Yong Pal the gangster. I never thought he was not good looking or anything but dang he was sexy as Yong Pal! The gangster style suited him with the bright colors and sexy slicked back hair. He rocked the thick fur collars like a boss! He and his boys were the highlight of the show at times. He's the best! Avengers for the win!

So maybe if you have more patience and focus this would be a better show, because like I said, our main two boys were amazing and it was good for the most part, it's just that the pacing and writing held them back for so long. It was a good halfway through the show before the actual plot happened. They became a team, they started focusing on the real case instead of a bunch of little ones like a serial would, and then magic happened. Bros before anything else!

The ending was almost lame. They did try to throw some mopiness in the last episode. No one wants that. But I would say that the very end was nice enough that I forgave the rest of it. It was never horrible, just hard to get into. I've never forgotten about a drama so much, and we faithfully watched like once a week. It was super strange. So a solid meh? A "shug it was okay?" I liked it, but it didn't love it. I guess I was just not that into it, it's fine. That bromance though.