Wednesday, February 28, 2018

283. Meloholic 멜로홀릭 (2017) Korean

Jung Yoon Ho, Kyung Soo Jin, Choi Dae Chul

Drama Rating: 4/10     Neck Score: A+

This is one of those dramas that I'm not sure why I actually watched, except for Yoon Ho. The things I do for my idol boys, tsk tsk tsk. This show was outright embarrassing to watch at times. Especially the first half of the show which was full of needless sexy time. I swear Choi Dae Chul's character was there just to hook up with women. That whole Clara the sexy lunch lady thing was ridiculous. It was like three different dramas rolled into one. One drama about the main couple, a boy with powers and a girl with a split personality, one was about a serial killer, and one was about Choi Dae Chul getting some. Yeah, pretty ridiculous. Then there were the college friends who were there for the first half of the drama, but we forgot they existed by the ending of it. Basically it was a mess and all over the place. Whew.

Some of those plots I listed above were fun. I actually really enjoyed watching Kyung Soo Jin play multiple personalities. She did it really well. I liked both of her characters, and I thought that they handled it very well. It was pretty refreshing to see the girl get to be the one with the DID. Of course Yoon Ho also had his powers which allowed him to read girl's minds. I did appreciate that that only gave him confidence, but that he was still a huge nerd on the inside. That was adorable. I loved that when it came right down to it, it was about a pair of nerds falling in love, who happened to have confident alter egos that came through special circumstances, such as a mental disorder or random powers.

The psychopath plot line was ridiculous. Especially the ending of it. It was all over the place and especially draggy at the ending. It also felt really slap dash, like they were just throwing everything together last minute. This is a prime example of all the currently popular tropes, as well as past tropes, thrown together into one ridiculous romcom, which has too much sexy time. I'm not sure who they were trying to appeal to there with all the boob shots. No more rice scooping demos, Clara, please! They had the DID, which was popular a couple years back, the psychopath in the romcom, which was last year's trope, and they even had to throw amnesia in there right at the end. Wonderful! Just what we always wanted (gagging noises)! So yeah, it was pretty dumb, and I'm embarrassed that Yoon Ho was able to make me watch it, but sometimes you gotta watch bad dramas and laugh, and even if it was cheesy beyond all reason, Yoon Ho was cute and Soo Jin was awesome. I liked that OTP. So the result is embarrassed but not regretful.