Friday, November 3, 2017

Kpop Running Playlist

About a year ago I decided I hated that I sucked at running.  I didn't want running to defeat me.  So I started training for a 5k, and then later a 10k, and then I started slacking so I'm back at the 5k level... but that's ok.  I'm still doing it.  And one of the reasons that I love it now is because I've got a pretty sweet Kpop Running Playlist.  When I'm less motivated to go, I just think of the lovely music I get to listen to, and that helps motivate me.


So does the lovely fall weather that we have right now, and the early summer mornings, and the start of spring... I am a sissy, though, and I don't run outside after Christmas.... It just gets too cold.


I thought of how to write this list up, so I thought I would list them in reverse order of how easy they are to run to, although that is subject to change, depending on my condition and mood that day.  But in general, this is the order of running greatness... well this was really hard to rank.  The top three are the most solid in these rankings, the rest I just had to do my best, because they really are just all good, and I like running way more because these songs get me in the mood and help me set my pace.

Some of these might be too slow for you.  I do admit I am not a fast runner, so a slower run song might be perfect for me and a bit off for you, but that's ok.  I'm sure some of these will work in general for everyone.


12. Growing Pains, Super Junior D&E


Growing Pains is one of the ones I like to start my run out with, because it seems gentle at first, but then gets a good heartbeat beat that lets you fall into step.  Then by the chorus you are pumped up enough to be running for real.  I don't mind it coming on during the middle of the run either, or for cool down.  It's very versatile that way, which is one of the reasons I love it.  I just might be a bit sad that I can't sing along to it while running (I'm not that talented).

Another great D&E song for running is Lights, Camera, Action! which has all the funky beats and is great for when you need to up the pace.


11. Follow Me, 2ne1

There will never be a time when I stop listening to 2ne1.  Follow me is all about the beat, and the beat is a perfect pace for running.


The fact that it is also talking about following and stuff also makes me feel like I'm leaving people in the dust (which is hard when I'm only running like 5 miles an hour on a good day) so I feel powerful too.

I Am the Best is a very pertinant song for a run, because I always need a pep talk when I hit mile 3 (or 2... or 1 for that matter).  Or any time during the run.  I also really like the beat for Ugly.  It just works for my runs.


10. View, SHINee

While not my favorite song from that album, View certain has a great beat for running.  The chorus of neomu areumdaun daun daun daun view is both good to sing a long with, as well as run along with.


Feel Good is another good one for me, and might be one of my favorites on its album, and serves to help convince me that running is good for me and will make be Feel Good, even though it seems opposite of that at the time.  1 of 1 also is great, as well as Trigger and Lucifer, which have great beats and somehow make me feel powerful at the same time.


9. 1AM, Taeyang


For a sad love song, this one is super upbeat and inspiring for me.  The tempo and beat just get me moving.  The melody does too.  It sounds more hopeful and motivating, which helps when it comes to me running.


8. FXXK IT, BIGBANG

This is another one that I love to especially start with, but is also great near the end because it starts with that line "No I don’t wanna go too fast," because that's what I'm saying.


On top of that, it's got a decent beat for a steady run.  It's probably one of the ones that might not be amazing for the faster runs, but it's great for an easier one.

Still Alive, which might be one of my favorite songs on the Still Alive album, has been getting me through tough situations since 2012.  Like every morning on my long commute to the soul draining office job I had back in 2012... now it gets me going on the days I really don't want to run, but know I should.

Basically any BIGBANG song that features GD running is probably good...
I could probably put many more BIGBANG songs on this, because BIGBANG is my ultimate favorite group of all time and their songs are just generally good for everything in my book.  But Bang Bang Bang, Blue, and Bad Boy might be some other favorites on the list.


7. Bonamana, Super Junior

Super Junior has a lot of good dancing songs, and most of those songs can also double as good running songs.  The best might just be Bonamana, especially when you are bounce to me-ing.


Superman is great because you feel cool when you run to it, and determined to be "the last man standing" so you keep going.

Oops feat. f(x) is an absolutely stupid song.  It's the rappers of Super Junior boasting with a chorus of f(x) telling them they are stupid for lying about being so cool.  Ridiculous.  I absolutely love it too.  It's like a guilty pleasure and it's hilarious.  It's also one of the best songs ever for running.  Literally.  When I first created my running playlist, for the first 5k I ever ran, back in 2015 it was the best song to keep be going at that time, which was a big deal because back then I didn't know what I had gotten myself into (running on an elliptical is completely different from running outside) and I needed all the help I could get.  That's actually what got me started later to actually train the next year and to defeat running.


6. Transformer, EXO

Lizabreff recommended this one to me to put on my list, and I liked it immediately.  The funky rapping and beat are great, and perfect for setting the pace.


Plus it's all talking about the girl having power and being strong, so like power song.  But that funky beat!!!  Love it!


5.  Sad Ending, Vixx

The happiest sounding sad song, and also one that is impossible not to keep going during as it literally starts with "don't stop" and then "go, go, go, go."  Now maybe if I spoke better Korean I would care about what they said in between those English phrases, but for the purpose of running it doesn't matter, because as soon as I hear it, I have to give another push.  It's so perfect when I'm starting to slow down a bit and want to stop, because it won't let me.  However, it really sucks when it comes on during my cool down, because then I need to tell them to stop, because I'm done.  Oh well.  When that happens I usually laugh.

Error is another good one, because it has the heartbeat rhythm.  In fact, the dance is a slow mo run, which works, but regular running works too.  I love how versatile it is too, because it works for the run, it works for the cool down.


UUUUU another super goofy song, the B side track to the Rock Ur Body single.  It's cheesy and cringy and I love it.  In fact, I start singing it every time My Boo updates, because one of the lines is literally "my boo boo boo boo boo."  But along with all those aspects of the song, it has great points for running because it is upbeat and cheerful, and so that helps me fall into pace.  Plus it just gets me into a good mood.


4. Run, BTS

Of course this one is a top candidate.  It's literally called run, haha.


But BTS really have a ton of songs that are perfect for running.  My biggest problem with them is that I also just want to dance to them.  That's even harder with the ones where I know the dances to them so well, like Blood, Sweat & Tears.  But it is just so perfect when running, because I know that sometimes at least the sweat and tears are a big factor.  I still try to avoid the blood part.  Dope is great, but I have the hardest time not dancing to it.  I like it when it comes on during cool down, but then I'm sure the passers probably think I'm crazy as I pop out as many moves while walking as possible.  I'm sure I look like a pabo.  DNA has proven to be pretty good already too.  I just love it.


3. All of B.A.P

Literally 75% of all B.A.P songs are good for running to.  The other 25% are their ballads, and it might be debatable whether you can run to them or not, because sometimes even their ballads are good for running.  What B.A.P has going for most of their songs is a powerful, rebellious or even fighting beat.  It makes you feel powerful while running to them.  Some of the best ones aren't even title tracks, but intros or just album songs that are super underrated because they are awesome.  Like Whut's Poppin'.  I freakin' love that song.  Fight for Freedom is similarly awesome.  They are short, but awesome, and get my blood pumping.

Unbreakable is perfect because not only does the beat make me feel powerful, so does the words.  They are just so true when you are pushing through the wall singing "I'm unbreakable!" in your head.

Skydive

I feel like I'm repeating myself with all these songs.  I really love the bridge part of Skydive where they are falling and counting down "3, 2, 1... skydive!"  Once again, it makes me feel powerful, and with the powerful beat, I can push my way through anything.


One Shot

"Let me tell you something that you already know..." I love B.A.P and this song.  You only have this run, you know.  It kind of makes me push myself.  I mean, they sing this while doing push ups, so why not push a little?  I guess that logic makes sense... to me.


1004(Angel) is one of Lizabreff's favorite songs ever, and she gets so excited when it comes on.  If we're karaoking to this, she will just steal all the parts, because she's so excited.  It's totally the same for me, and when it comes to running, that excitement gets my blood pumping, and I can just really fly.  And while speaking of flying, Albatross is literally the same.  You feel like flying just listening to the song, and I am often tempted to run with my hands in the air so I can feel the wind.  I love the beat and chanting of Carnival.  Also, it's motivating with all the "can't stop, can't stop" parts.

Then, of course, I had to include the classic Warrior and Power which as the ultimate powerful songs that make me feel strong and cool.  I could literally go on because I'm pretty sure that 50% of my 100+ song running playlist is B.A.P.


2. Crooked, G-Dragon

The top three on this list are the most indisputable of the order.  Crooked is one of the best running songs of all time.


I mean, the whole MV is GD running.


It has a perfect tempo and beat, and the sort of desperation or emotion of the song too, a little bit angry and a lot of angst, with all the throwing it to the wind and just running those emotions to the ground.  It's like run until you drop.  If this song was hours long, I could run for hours.

I probably have more G-Dragon on my playlist than BIGBANG, actually.  He has a lot of running worthy songs.  It's good.  I think I put almost all of his Kwon Ji Yong album on the list.  I definitely like 개소리 a lot, and it works so well.  Especially when things happen to piss you off and you're sick of all the idiots in the world.  I probably run to Middle Fingers Up for the same reason.  Also, my latest thing to shout at stupid drivers these days is "peace minus one!"  Don't mess with me while I run, dude.


1. Sober, BIGBANG

The ultimate running song!  Seriously, I don't know of a better one.  Just listening to it makes me want to run, even if I put it on with the intent to dance.  Actually that is how I dance to it.  I just run.


It kind of has that throw it away to the wind and go for it feel- escapism really, as the song is about escaping the pain of a breakup through drinking.  Its running away from the pain and hurt and going insane, etc., which is perfect.  It's escaping through running!  I love it!  I could really run for forever if this song was playing for forever, so it's a good thing it's only a few minutes long, because I really can't run for forever, but this keeps me going long enough and is the perfect running song.


Yeah, so those are some of my favorites.  I do have literally over a hundred songs on that play list, so it doesn't get boring, although I am still inclined to listen to my favorites more.  I don't currently have headphones that allow me to skip, so I have to make sure that every song on the list is perfect for running.  If I wished I could have skipped it, I remove it.  I'm always keeping it fresh too, adding new songs and testing them out.  But these ones are the tried and true songs, so if you are looking to freshen your play list up, here are some to try.  Do you have any recommendations for me?  What are your favorite Kpop running songs?