Tuesday, September 12, 2017

K-Con LA 2017 Final Day: Wrapping Up the Trip

Is it ridiculous that most of our adventures of our last day took place outside of K-Con?  We were trying to find someplace, and our information was wrong.  That day was the huge exception, and even though we went to 3 different places, we ended up not finding what we were looking for.  But we did get a sort of tour of different parts of LA because of that.  Saw some different views and some residential areas.  It was nice, I guess.  But it meant that we got less K-Con time.


But a good thing happened after the wild goose chase we went on.  When we got to our sketchy under the parking lot parking, some girls were just leaving.  Seeing our wrist bands, they offered us their parking they had bought, because they were leaving already.  So we got free parking!  #blessings #kconersunite


We arrived around noon, and we decided to eat right away, since we waited a bit too long the day before.  I really wanted to try some "real" ddeokbokki.  I also have always wanted to try fish cakes.  This was to be the worst mistake of all, and my biggest regret of all K-Con.


It was not good.  I spent $10 on each, so a total of $20 on the grossest ddeokbokki I've ever eaten.  The fishcakes were not amazing either.  It doesn't mean I'll never try them again, but yuck.  Bad quality.  It also didn't digest well, for some TMI.

Another regret is that all three of us ended up getting pretty much the exact same thing, because we didn't communicate well.  We could have split just one of each between the three of us, and tried something better.  Branched out, but we weren't thinking ahead enough I guess.  I also regret not trying some of those kimchi fries at that one booth that always had a long line.  I regret not braving that line for some better food.

So, to keep from completely regretting everything, I got something else.  It was the last day, so stuff was going on sale.  So I bought myself a watermelon slush.  It was served in a watermelon.

I can't believe there are some people already lined up for the concert!

Yeah, I don't regret that for $5.  I only wish I had gotten the coconut one too.  Cause yum!  Although, it was a lot less slush than it looks, because they only hollowed out like half of that.  If I had grabbed a spoon I could have just eaten some watermelon.

Then we went inside and went to the panel The Return of the Secret Life of K-Pop Fans over 30.  I didn't remember what it was technically called, I had to look it up.  But first I had to wash the watermelon off my hands.  As we were walking passed our panel room to the bathrooms, this security guard was like: "out of the way!" and so I looked up, got out of the way, still thinking about my sticky hands, when I suddenly realized, hey, that was Kevin Woo.  Our eyes met and I just looked away like a jerk, thinking about my watermelon hands.

So yeah, now Kevin Woo thinks I don't care about him, which isn't true.  I just wish I had been polite and at least waved.  Sad face.

We had some more celebrity moments while in the back of that panel when people outside started going crazy and apparently Astro was walking by.  I missed it by like 2 seconds, because I was tweeting something, but Lizabreff and Curdy got to see them.


I do have to say I'm glad I went to that panel, because it was like coming home.  Even more than coming to K-Con felt, it was like: here is my people!  And we all understood and supported each other, and it was great.  I could also do my freak out for all my peeps, as they called out all the fandoms I belong to.  Even I was surprised at myself.  Although I do have to be ashamed of myself for forgetting for too long that E.L.F stands for Ever Loving Friend.  Tsk tsk.  By the time I remembered, it was too late.  Take back my ELF membership card!  Curdy knew.  Donghae might just be her ultimate bias (like G-Dragon is mine) but I think she also has a thing for Leeteuk.

After that, we had to sneak over to Gotoe's Meet and Greet, so Lizabreff could get a picture with him.  His meet and greet was the same time as our panel, but if she could at least get the picture, she would be fine.


She's fine.

After that we went back for some more Running Fan Games.  We spent almost the rest of the time there, since they closed early, getting tickets so we could get something.  They were so much fun.  This "chopsticks" game was my favorite, I did it with both Lizabreff and Curdy.  When I did it the first time, I got huge tongs and confetti.  The second time I got tweezers and peas.  I won both times, mwahahaha.


This was highly entertaining to watch- the pants game.  Haha, their flailing legs.


We also did some puzzle games and a nametag elimination- which was scary and awesome.  It was basically tons of fun, and I'm going to have to start watching Running Man again when I get home.

It closed at 4:30, a bit earlier than the rest of the convention, so we left- each with a Running Man name tag pin and some Vixx buttons, and headed to the Expo to buy some stuff as everything was on clearance mode.

We ended up all getting posters.  I got a Vixx and a BTS, Curdy Vixx, and Lizabreff BTS.  She also surprised me with a late birthday gift of G-Dragon's latest album, Kwon Ji Yong, which I hadn't purchased yet due to my laptop being broken.  Needless to say I was really touched and excited.  Time for some 19+ lyrics w/GD- mwahahaha.

We also went to The Face Shop booth and bought like 20 lbs worth of face masks and lotions, which we would come to regret later, because it put our luggage overweight.  Should have planned that better.  Woops.

They were super kicking us out of the Expo center at this point, and were made to feel that we were making their lives (the security guards,  not the sales people) oh so hard, which we probably were.  But it was all buy one get one free!

Since we didn't get tickets for the Sunday concert, which is sad because Kard and GOT7, we headed out to try some more locally better cuisine.  This time, our mission was Tacos.

We found this awesome hipster taco place called B.S. Taqueria.

With a hip atmosphere and delicious hand pressed tortillas, this was way worth the trip.  I'll be dreaming of this place for a while.

It had fake vines hanging from the ceilings, real candle light, and this pretty mural.


We all ordered a fish taco.


And I got a shrimp taco (left) which was delightfully spicy and hot.  Curdy's is on the right, and was like a Chorizo and Papas.  Lizabreff got Carnitas, which she said melted in her mouth.


Then we got nachos to split, because yum.


Another view of the ceiling vines, this time with the walkway to the front room.


We decided against the beach again, since we were already going to miss the sunset, and instead had a nice sunset ride home.  We came back early because we were frankly tired and had to pack.

Our flight was stupidly early.  We also made the mistake of not waking up early enough for it, or setting enough alarms, so we were racing to the airport.  We got to the rental car drop off when we should have got to the airport, and were waiting to go through security when we were supposed to be boarding.  We were taking this tiny airline to a tiny airport actually in our city, rather than the bigger one we normally go to in the nearby capital.  So they were boarding super early and freaking us out for no reason.

Our bag was overweight, we didn't have time to rearrange and had to just eat that extra $50.  Ouch, no longer cheap face masks.  Oh well.  Then we had to hurry through security as best as possible, with all of us carrying our rolled up posters, etc.  We made it, last ones on the plane, which then didn't take off for another 20 min.  Thanks.

It was an uncomfortable flight- thanks ddeokbokki.  Haha, we got home safe and it was a great trip.  I still think I would do it again.  You just need the right kind of a con, I guess.  Those concerts really help too.  If the right people come next year... we'll see.  So yeah, there is our four day trip to LA for K-Con 2017.  Feel free to catch up on our other days: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3.