Saturday, January 4, 2014

8. Rooftop Prince 옥탑방 왕세자 (2012) Korean

Park Yoochun, Han Ji Min, Lee Tae Sung

Drama Rating 6/10     Neck Score: A

This was my first current drama.  I actually had to wait for the episodes every week.  I also graduated from Netflix to DramaFever and Viki.  I have to say that the second time round made me realize how bad some of the aspects of this was.  The first episode is pretty boring and lame.  It's a fusion sageuk (historical) with the past coming to the present.  So when it was two separate story lines (the past from the Joseon Dynasty and the modern day people) it was super boring and lame, but as soon as the prince, played by the talented Park Yoochun (also from JYJ/DBSK) and his three henchmen, arrive in the modern times it gets way better.  The plot itself is full of holes and super cheesy and way too dramatic at parts, the bad guy is probably the lamest bad guy ever- he can't kill anyone no matter how hard he tries- but the acting of the main couple and the three ducklings (Yoochun's men) make it worth while.  You do have to be down with the reincarnation cop out.  Also, I may or may not have certain scenes cued up on my Netflix account so I can watch them over and over again when I need a cheer up.  Hint: it's not the kissing scenes (although those are good), it involves Tae Moo (Lee Tae Sung) making the best faces ever.