Thursday, January 9, 2014

106. Bridal Mask 각시탈 (2012) Korean

Joo Won, Jin Se Yeon, Park Ki Woong, Han Chae Ah, Shin Hyun Joon

Drama Rating: 9/10     Neck Score: A

Holy cow.  That... okay.  I am actually glad that I didn't watch this when it was current (although part of me is also very sad about that for the same reason) because I would not have made it through it all so graciously without all the spoilers I had, such as who died and so on.  Because so many people died (except the people we wanted to die, like Goiso).  Wow, those last few episodes were just a blood bath.  Wow.  But this was so, so, so good!  It took me so long because I was watching it with a friend, and the holiday scheduling was hard, but that just made it better, as we bounced our comments and nicknames off, making it that much more fun.  We're all glad we watched it together (but maybe need a lighter one for the next one).  I have several friends who have read recaps of the ending, or watched the last episode and decided not to watch it, that is a mistake, because this show is so good that it doesn't matter that it is bloody, tragic, and very full of propaganda.  It's worth it.  The propaganda is probably the part that bothered me the most.  I know it's a Korean drama, and therefore completely Koreancentric, but still, some of it was so over-the-top that I couldn't swallow it.  Such as the plot to make Korea the center of the Japanese empire.  Right.  But just roll your eyes and go with it, it was aired during a time of Japan and Korea fighting over that island thing, so they would make it a political statement more than normal.  But the acting.  Slow clap for Joo Won and Park Ki Woong!  I already loved those boys, but boy do I love them now.  Woo hoo!  Overall it was just a really well done drama, enough so that the little annoying bits and propaganday type deals were forgiven.  It was just that epic.