Tuesday, August 4, 2020

427. My Unfamiliar Family (아는 건 별로 없지만) 가족입니다 (2020) Korean

Jung Jin Young, Won Mi Kyung, Choo Ja Hyun, Han Ye Ri, Shin Jae Ha, Kim Ji Suk

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

This drama felt like one of those 50 episode weekend family dramas that are full to the max with drama and follow multiple different story lines and couples. It had all that, except it was only 16 episodes long. Which was awesome, actually, since that meant that it stuck to only the important drama and left out the filler drama. It still focused on the whole family and their different problems, as well as their problems together. The whole premise is that even though they are family, they don't know everything about each other. In fact, they are the poster family for miscommunication and even no communication. The whole show is a lesson on how not communicating with your family and loved ones will lead to miscommunication, with is a poison that can ruin even the closest families. The beautiful thing is that it also shows the power of communication and how that builds relationships, and even creates families.

So, this family is super dysfunctional. The mom and dad have been indifferent or fighting for as long as the maknae has remembered. The middle sister hasn't talked to the oldest sister for five years because of an argument over her breakup. Then the mom announces she wants a marriage graduation. The dad doesn't seem to love that idea, but seems angry at life in general. He is a truck driver with a middle school education. He takes off, leaving the mom to announce it, and then shows up in the hospital after a hiking accident... with amnesia. Haha. I don't mind amnesia when it's part of the main plot. Just so long as it's not a cop out last minute dramatic addition. In this case, it sent him back to the happy times when they were 22 and maybe in love. It was the catalyst to opening the communication that had been closed for so long and let us and them get to the root of the problem- what had happened to them, leading them up to the antagonistic point of marriage graduation?

I loved how it was paced. It really peeled back the onion of what had happened as well as the levels of drama and crap that was going on. It was a steadily increasing level of dramatic, like a closet slowly opening with a few things falling out until the door just dumped open with all the skeletons. So much happened that it sometimes felt like there had to be 50 episodes to fit it all in, but because it was all balanced between characters and timed so well, it never got too much or too overwhelming. I also really cared about all the characters so that I wasn't like: oh no, it's the side plot I don't care about. I cared about all the plots and each family member.

If there was a time that I was like: nope, I'm done with this character, it was with the VP storyline. I am just in love with Kim Ji Suk, so I thought he took up way too much time and he obviously wasn't as good as Kim Ji Suk so... And now that I started talking about Kim Ji Suk, I will just continue. He was sooooooo attractive in this. He played the best friend who you secretly love so well that I was getting all the flutters and heart thumps right along with our girl. Seriously though, he rocked it. And I love that he wasn't just there for her, but was generally just supporting her whole family, and so genuinely, that probably exponentially increased his attractiveness too. I could (and probably should) write a whole post about how Kim Ji Suk just keeps making me fall for him over and over. He's got sexy powers!

I honestly was all about the parents' romance too. They put me through all the feels. I loved how complicated it was, and also how simple. It certainly showed how things can go bad, turn around, and the deeper than just love moments that brings couples and families together. The whole family was like that. They were so good as siblings and parents who know each other like family, but then also don't know each other as well as they think. That there are surprises and hurt that can only come from your family was both painful and beautiful to watch. I was super invested in them all.

I love it, I'm glad it was only 16 episodes, because I binged it pretty fast. It was so good. Beautiful, heavy, all the feels, but ultimately made you feel good like a family drama should. I highly recommend it.