Friday, March 29, 2019

335. Romance is a Bonus Book 로맨스는 별책부록 (2019) Korean

Lee Na Young, Lee Jong Suk, Jung Eugene, Wi Ha Joon

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

This drama was definitely of the feel good variety, where you fell in love with all the characters and the dramatic crap was to a minimum. I also loved that it had more of a down to earth feel while still being the stuff of fantasies with a cute, perfect, younger guy/noona romance that brings on the feels. The fact that Cha Eun Ho (Lee Jong Suk) is an all around nice guy, extremely talented, and is super hot and respectful might seem a little less realistic, but it doesn't make it any less fun to watch. It made me like it more. He was supportive rather than "taking the lead" like is common in so many dramas. When Kang Dan Yi (Lee Na Young) made her choices, he respected them. When his superiors at work made choices, he supported them. Everyone had a good synergy. The realistic parts were the things they were all struggling with, and I loved how everyone had their own struggles, but that no one was unreasonably mean, bad, or unrealistic. By the end you just love everyone and are full of the feels and smiles. So I really loved it.



It wasn't always pleasant, there were some definite awkward times (which is real life right there). There were also some really ridiculous things that our hero, Kang Dan Yi, did and some choices she made that made you go "eh?" such as squatting in his house for how long without him knowing it (yeah right) or fudging her resume to a pretty extreme extent out of desperation, etc. But it never was super bad that I couldn't forgive it and keep watching.

I struggled a bit with the second male lead, Ji Seo Joon (Wi Ha Joon), which is weird, I know, because he's pretty adorable and has a great smile, but I think it's because I am also watching Never Let You Go and have a bit of PTSD with the second male lead in that who also has a great smile but turned out to be annoyingly evil and OP. They look just enough alike (which really isn't that alike) that I struggled for a bit. But, I was thankfully able to get over that (maybe because I took a break from the C-drama for a bit). But his story line was also a bit unrealistic and awkward, especially in his interactions with the assistant editor, Song Hae Rin (Jung Eugene, my girl!), which was delightful, but also awkward. But those two's interactions while somewhat contrived (too much plot movement there) saved both characters for me. Although I actually loved her the whole time, I was just worried she would be sad again. I like Eugene too much to have her keep playing cool second leads or side characters.

But even out of these leads listed, I loved the entire publishing company and even when people made bad decisions, I love that they were all so supportive of each other and worked on being better, and making good books, which that alone would touch my heart and sell me, since I'm a reader and writer for life, and so the publishing world aspect really sold me.

So, while it wasn't a high priority for me (as you can tell, it took, me a while to actually finish it), it was a light, fun, and filled with good feels drama that I would recommend. Especially if you love cute couples, cute puppy boys, fun and talented women, and lovable coworker dramas.