Monday, April 29, 2019

323. 100 Days My Prince 백일의 낭군님 (2018) Korean

Do Kyung Soo, Nam Ji Hyun, Kim Sun Ho, Cho Seong Ha, Jo Han Chul

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A+

This one might have been the one I missed the most when DF suddenly disappeared from our lives. I was fully invested in these cuties and there were only like 4 or 6 episodes left (I watched them super far apart, I don't remember exactly). I had even been looking forward to the episodes, waiting for them to be posted, but they kept saying they had been delayed. This was the drama that I had been trying to watch when it all went down. But it was also the only drama that, as far as I know, still isn't on a legitimate site, sketchy! Like all the others, it suffered from the lack of momentum when I finally got back to watching it. I took too long to just break down and find a whatever site to watch it on, which is why I watched it in several different instances, taking forever. It was that part of the show when everything was going to get complicated too, so it was hard jumping right into the sad or lonely episodes. But, it was so worth it still. I can confidently give it the score I did, because it's super cute and fun. Great blend of the cute of a sageuk (historical) and the political drama that is every sageuk.


One thing that I had forgotten in the time between watching is that this is a fusion sageuk, which means there are some historical inaccuracies, especially in people's behaviors. It's not about real people, so they don't have to force endings on us because of history either. I had forgotten all this, so when people were giving each other arm and finger hearts I was like "wut?" I also forgot that it was cheesy and cute, because I jumped back into the serious parts, so when it was suddenly super lighthearted again, I had to remind myself that this is what it used to be. That it was always a cute romcom, just set in Joseon times.

I had to remind myself that it was basically Shopping King Louis set in Joseon, only he was literally a prince instead of just a rich kid who likes to shop. But he still liked to shop. Also, Louis was a different kind of cute. He was little kid/puppy cute, while our Won Deuk was "I'm trying to be cool but I'm way out of my comfort zone and it's awkward" puppy cute. Nam Ji Hyun was basically the same character in both, but that happens. At least it's a likable, hardworking, practical character. She's awesome and I love her. Not her fault she's typecast a bit. She's capable of more and it will probably happen someday. She and Kyung Soo had great chemistry though, and were just the cutest couple. They were friends first, teasing each other because he was book smart (but no one knew it because they figured he couldn't even read) while she was street smart. It made them both seem ridiculous to each other at times. Mostly him though. A peasant who doesn't know how to do anything? How useless! Oh wait, he can read and is pretty much brilliant? He's awesome! Handsome too! Swoon!

It had a good pacing and progression. I thought it wrapped up well and gave enough time after the intense fighting and political wrap up to be cute and fluffy like it was most of the time. I mean, we always had the bad guy being bad and knowing it would have to be intense with a lot of fighting at some point, but it had a good balance of both. I didn't appreciate noble idiocy, I never do, but they managed to keep that at a minimum, and I appreciated that the crown prince usually just went for what he wanted instead of being a tragic boring fellow. There was still tragedy, it's a sageuk, of course people will die and be sad, but I think they did a good balance and still kept it fluffy for most of the time. It was good, and I liked it. I wish I could have just watched it straight through without that extended break while I waited for someone legitimate to pick it up, since it apparently still hasn't happened. Come on, Viki! Netflix? Someone?