Tuesday, December 4, 2018

325. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes 하늘에서 내리는 1억 개의 별 (2018) Korean

Seo In Guk, Jung So Min, Park Sung Woong, Go Min Si, Yoo Jae Myung

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

I kind of loved the level of psychological thriller this had. With a mysterious man who is a sociopath or whatever, manipulating and not understanding emotions. Completely jaded to the good in the world because he can see human hypocrisy all too well. Seo In Guk did a great job being the "monster" in this one. You hated him and loved him all at once. He made you shiver all while being attracted to him. But then the developing relationship between him and Jung So Min was also really great. I loved her as well. Her innate ability to see through him, but still empathize. To see both the good and the bad and to call him out on his crap. It made the relationship worth watching, even though you had the sick feeling that everything was going to go wrong when we finally found out about the past that the oppa kept not telling everyone about, even when we were all sure that telling would save some mistakes from being made. Oh well.

I loved everyone in this. Even the nasty rich folks were played super well. Although I preferred the douche bag brother to his crazy sister. She liked playing with fire way too much, and was a horrible judge of character. I saw that coming from miles away, too bad she didn't. Her brother should have seen his fate coming too, but he was also a rich idiot not nice person. Basically, this show is messed up, because the main characters are all super flawed and probably couldn't be called "good" but then the "villains" are somehow worse, even though they aren't really doing much worse, but maybe get away with more crap because they are rich.

Basically all the main characters are not "100% good." Well, Jung So Min's character, Jin Kang is good. She's a very good girl, but then she isn't one to let her brother dictate her relationships, and you're not sure whether she should be or not either. He is being unreasonable and overreacting, I'd have a hard time listening to that tirade (no matter how well founded) with no explanations.  But then we know that Kim Moo Young (Seo In Guk) is bad news. Attractive, addictive bad news that we have no idea how bad the news is type bad news.

There are actually good people in it. They are just side characters. Eom Cho Rong, the cute little police makne, was a very good boy. Every time I saw him I thought: I need a boy like that. He's cute and nice. But not as charismatic or addicting as Moo Young, so he didn't stand a chance. There wasn't that connection. Actually, that was one thing I loved about this show. The connections. There was a reason behind everything. We saw the couple get to know each other, hate and love each other, and make very deliberate choices. I do have to say that was a very cute moment of consent (even though I was terrified of other potential implications at the time, at least I knew they were both 100% in that moment).

I had heard at the start of it, that a bunch of people, impatient to wait, watched the original Japanese drama and were really mad about the ending. With that as a back thought, I knew that the ending was potentially going to be bad. I didn't know how much the Korean version would soften it, so there was room for grey area. Considering how dramatic it was going, I was pretty ready for anything. I was biting my nails (not literally) at times wondering which option of the ones I had predicted would be the case. And then ran through them all. I saw some of the things coming (what else could happen when they were being that crazy?) but some things were completely shocking. Even when I felt like something would happen, it still shocked me a bit. It was pretty crazy stuff. I mean in a dark, twisted way.

If only people had talked more at the start. Like the people who actually knew what happened in the past. It might have made a difference.... I don't know. But even with some of the frustrating zip lips and uncalled for outbursts, it was a very intriguing show. Definitely on the dark side. You have to be down for a show where anything goes and the "heroes" are not exactly white knights or anything. They are wounded, twisted, and a bit dark. But you might have heard that I like villains... and bad boys... and psychopaths.... So be warned. It's that kind of show.