Sunday, January 5, 2014

50. The Princess's Man 공주의 남자 (2011) Korean

Park Shi Hoo, Moon Chae Won, Song Jong Ho, Hong Soo Hyun

Drama Rating: 8/10     Neck Score: A

Best cinematography, best soundtrack, this is the best sageuk I have ever seen!  It's pretty much Romeo and Juliet meets Richard III because it's got the two lovers caught up in the political rivalry of the parents, but the rivalry includes evil uncles killing their nephews and brothers to take the crown.  It is based off the fact that the usurper king Sejo had a mysterious daughter mentioned in only one of the records but none of the others.  Using this they wrote a complex story of love, betrayal and revenge into the classic history of a struggle over the crown.  So much blood.  Literally half the episodes all of the characters are covered in blood.  Also Park Shi Hoo is hot.  He is one of the few that really works the Joseon get up.  As in seriously working it.  He looks sexy in those pastels and net hats.  Then when he goes all revengy bad-a on us, he has the warrior outfits with the long hair and head bands.  Rawr!  Moon Chae Won is my favorite actress ever... probably.  I admit that I didn't like her character in Shining Inheritance, but that's the beauty of her talent.  I swear she is a different character in every show and she rocks all of them.  I really loved her in this one, and then by the time Innocent Man and Good Doctor came around, that was just the confirming proof that this girl is awesome.  This is a very emotional roller coaster type show.  So much death that it's very heavy and you need to keep the watching pace slow, but at the same time it's so exciting you want to keep watching.  But it is so good.  Very fitting for my 50th drama.  It's just well made and classy.  I did have problems with the other dude.  He's dumb.  Also, it made me project his dumbness on his character in Answer me 1997, which I happened to be watching at the same time.  Oops.