Thursday, October 10, 2019

350. The Untamed 陈情令 (2019) Chinese

Xiao Zhan, Wang Yibo

Drama Rating: 9/10     Neck Score: A+++

Oh my gosh, obsessed! I literally watched it as fast as my schedule would allow, because it is very addictive. I am a bit glad that I waited until it was over (just because I was drama lazy and in a funk in general) because I could binge it as much as I wanted, but I am also a bit sad because I was late to the game and didn't get to join the live tweeting and conversation. I also knew a bit of what was going on because I had followed it so closely on Twitter. But it is totally worth all the hype. I haven't seen such a compelling story line in a while. Also didn't hurt that it was full to the brim with extremely handsome men, the major portion of which were also decent actors (there is also that handful that are not, but whatever, it's fine).

So it is a fantasy cultivation genre, where everyone is an immortal hero in training, so if you've seen any of those types of dramas, you'll be familiar with that, but what I like is that it spins that on it's head, since the story is about the "Untamed Hero" who isn't conventional to this cultivation and it raises the question of what is true. So there is a lot of mob mentality as people fear what they do not know, and also a lot of power hungry jerks who are willing to throw people to the mobs for their own gain. Basically there is a bunch of injustice and you might cry a time or two as crap happens in abundance. But, the storytelling of it makes it worth it. I remember wishing and wondering why certain villains had stayed alive as long as they did, but the pace was nice and there were several different arcs with different villains, so no one villain stayed alive for too long. Just longer than I wanted sometimes.


It was originally a BL novel, so our two main characters are Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. But this is also a Chinese drama, so any BL is played off as more of a bromance with some (not so) sneaky undertones of BL, especially if that's what you're there for. But it's been censored enough that if that offends you, you most likely won't be offended by this drama unless you're really trying hard. But yeah, don't expect anything real in the romance department because that's not what the drama is focusing on. It instead is a great story of friendship (and bromance!!!) and trust, since much of what happens and doesn't happen all connects back to the support and trust of friends. This leads to so much character development is it beautiful.

But I was also super down for the (b)romance between my two boys. Their dynamic was so wonderful. I was always just a bit less interested when they weren't together, and they could have been the only two characters in the whole show for all I cared. Just kidding, I loved a lot of other characters too. I actually had a huge soft spot for Wen Ning, and he was super attractive as the ghost general, when he was all possessed and bad ass.

You know who else was beautiful? Pretty much everyone. I loved how mischievous and contagious Wei Wuxian's grin was, but he could also be dark, broody, angry, and be super sexy during all of them. Everything that Lan Wangji did was beautiful. That dude was just beauty and grace incarnate. I'm only a fan of the stoic types when done well, and in my opinion, he did it well. I appreciated his micro-expressions and deep monotone voice that was also masking deep emotions. Like I said, all I wanted was those two to be together all the time, because those two opposites in their dynamic is my jam. Lan Wangji had a special glare just for Wei Wuxian, and then later, it was a special tiny smile just for him (squeal). I also have to note how amazing it is that they found a man who looked hotter with a blindfold on than without. I mean, Xiao Xingchen was hot before, but when he wore that blindfold, I was attracted to him even more. Who would have thought?

Because it is not focusing on romance (or just focusing on the bromance) that gives room for all the women in the story to be characters in their own right and not just romantic interests and I was a super fan of that. I loved how the...(counting).... two main females were both super strong and awesome in their own ways. We had two older sisters who would basically do anything for their brothers, and each be their own brand of awesome doing it. We had Jiang Yanli, who was adopted older sister to Wei Wuxian who had a strong, motherly, and nurturing skill set, who trusted our boy through everything and healed hearts while also putting jerks in their place. We also had Wen Qing who was a genius physician who is keeping her branch of the Wen clan together while also doing whatever it takes to protect her little brother who is constantly being possessed. There was some good platonic relationships between them all and it was great. (Although I do admit that I shipped Wen Qing with Jiang Cheng for a bit. If only. P.S. Jiang Cheng's jawline was 🔥🔥🔥).

I loved how they took time for backstories what not only enriched what was happening in the world, but in turn gave us context in the form of comparisons or foils to what could have or might happen to our main characters. However, the part of the show I hated the most was that we had to hear the backstory of the bad guy as he monologued for like three episodes, and I could have done without that. I know they didn't know everything, but I sure already knew all the crap he was ranting about. I guessed it with all his smug smirks behind everyone's backs.

So, ultimately I have to say that I loved it. I'm having withdrawals, I need to buy the soundtrack. I recommend it to everyone. I now know why everyone was being so obsessed about it. I love it. I clearly can go on for forever about it... I need to find a translated version of the novel and read it...

Please note: that if you do start it, that it begins in the middle, to give you a taste of the inevitable crazy, then jumps back to how it all started and brings you up to speed. This means you might be a little confused at first, but also hooks you as you finally start at the beginning and everyone is so innocent and pure, because you know what is going to happen, you anticipate and start looking for clues and it helps you see the full circle.

Seriously though, you should watch it.