Thursday, October 24, 2019

348. When the Devil Calls Your Name 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때 (2019) Korean

Jung Kyung Ho, Park Sung Woong, Lee Seol, Lee El


Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

If nothing else, I loved the soundtrack. One thing I love about most music dramas is that the OST quality is much better, not always, but this time it certainly was. I have been listening to the songs I bought on repeat since I finished it. I am now a Liver and Gallbladder fan girl too. But the soundtrack wasn't really the only thing I appreciated about the show. It certainly wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was just very different. But I did love the connection between music and art and having a soul. Also the concept that someone without a soul can't make music and can't cry.

I'm not actually sure what I expected anymore, but it certainly didn't end up being like that. I knew it was the story about a man who sold his soul to the devil. He made a 10 year contract with the devil to be young and successful at songwriting. The twist is that the devil didn't just give him inspiration, but he stole songs from other people to be that inspiration, effectively making Harib (Jung Kyung Ho) an accidental plagiarist. But he did sell his soul for it, so I guess it's not really accidental. Just unknowing. Then we have the devil who is a best a fallen angel. Also as close to a grade 1 soul, who is the most generous person we could meet.

Because it was more of a study on what makes us human and what a soul means, and the connection to music and art, it was much more about those emotions than I guess I expected. This girl who had been through so much and still remained pure was naturally good at music because of how it connected to her soul. There was also a bigger tie into family than I expected. Like, is there actually a noble cause enough to sell your soul? Or is it all a trick with a slippery slope?

As always, I got really interested in their concepts of god, angels, the devil, and heaven. A major theme of all of these concepts was god's will verses human will, and it made for a really weird ending. What else could they do to reverse everything that had happened? The contracts were binding, souls were sold, and could they actually make the devil win? Was the devil actually a bad guy? Was god even good? It tried to be really deep, but whether or not they succeeded is another matter. 

But really, I was just there for the bromance between Jung Kyung Ho and Park Sung Woong, Kyung Ho's lovely long hair, and my shipping Sung Woong's devil with Lee El, because I love her and only she could pull off a relationship with a fallen angel that well. The amazing OST was just a bonus on top of that.