Sunday, April 21, 2019

I Was Sleepless in the DMV: My Epik High Adventures

I live in a not exciting rural part of the U.S., so when Kpop groups announce their World Tours, I usually don't have any chance of them being close at all. So, Lizabreff, Curdy, and I started what I now call "Destination K-pop" where we travel to new cities to see concerts and also play tourists. It's more expensive, yes, but we also get out of our state and see new things we would have less of an excuse to see. All the things! This is how I've finally got to see Los Angeles, Las Vegas (although I'd been there plenty times before), Chicago, Dalles, Philadelphia, and now, Washington, DC.


So, when Epik High announced their European Tour, I almost ended up buying tickets to their Amsterdam or Helsinki concerts. They were even during my spring break. But then my car died and I couldn't justify spending THAT much money (someday). But my obsession with Epik High made me almost bite that bullet, but instead the best news came of their North American tour.


They were even asking where to go. Best news ever. I don't think I have snatched up tickets that fast.

Considering the time when they announced the tour to the time the tickets were on sale anyway. I'm a history nerd, so the thought of going to see Epik High AND all the Smithsonian museums was too much to pass up. So I jumped on my next destination K-pop adventure and was quite sleepless in the DMV.

When you're flying across the country, you're definitely going to be sleepless, since you have to get up to catch the flight, fly all day, and then probably still arrive late at the destination. Was is about 12 hours of travel time? Yeah about that, whatever. It's worth it. Why? Because Epik High is worth it. But I can say that I was literally sleepless when it came to the travelling times. Way too early.

Another good thing about coming all the way to DC was meeting some of the t-list who were also going to the concert, who took me to amazing places like this build your own bibimbap place (which was amazing!) and met up with me at the concert, even though we all ended up in different places in the venue. My friends were smart to get seats in the balcony. I couldn't resist standing in the pit, even though my feet already hurt from playing a tourist all day. I was only 4 feet from the stage, how could I resist? My feet will recover someday.


If you've never been to an Epik High concert (this was my first one) then let me just tell you they are the best concerts that you might ever go to, because no other group loves their fans in quite the same way. They're going all over the U.S. and Canada to cities that aren't known for K-pop concerts, and the venues are intimate enough for a family vibe to be created right away. I've never felt so close and so loved by the artists at a concert ever.

I'm just going to skip over the opening act because I want to say just nice things and while he was pretty good he wasn't Epik High, so I was a bit impatient through his set. I will say that he was pretty crazy jumping off the speakers and doing the guitar drop at the end. Um... don't hurt your guitar please. It's pretty.


Then it finally happened. It was Epik High time.


And I was like 😭😍😭😍.

Here are some things we learned about Epik High that night (as if we didn't already know):

Tukutz invented K-pop dance and Mithra Jin invented having a beard in Kpop. Tablo co-created
Haru.


Tablo is a troll.


So is Tukutz, and Mithra Jin is very patient.


But look at all that crowd interaction! They noticed when people said stuff (or dropped stuff). They talked with us. And when they performed, we were part of that magic. I know most groups know how to work a crowd and get the energy going, but this was different. It was more personal and super special.

So much love all around!


Here are some examples of them in action, performing some of my favorite songs.

Burj Khalifa is seriously my happy jam, when I just need to get dancing. It gets me on an Epik High.


The favorites from the new album presented in a way that only they could do. I love how personal the songs are, speaking to my soul, but then they gotta perform them in a way that makes us all family. Perfection!


 Bleed is another of my favorites, and I nearly died of happiness when it started.


There was actually family in the audience too, since Tablo's sister was there watching. It was fun to see Tablo interact with his sister, which we all could see, since she was literally right above the stage.


This was actually one moment where I way sad that I was in the front in the pit, because when we all turned our flashlights on for Home is Far Away, it must have been so beautiful. Luckily, one of my smart feet saving friends got that experience and shared it. Home is Far Away is the words of my soul in perfect execution. It makes me cry every time. If only I had just filmed the entire concert. Sniff.


Did I mention that my feet were already killing me even before I started all this? It didn't matter. When they told us to start jumping, we jumped, as exemplified during Kill This Love.


Then for the best finale ever, Fan. I personally felt each heart Tukutz sent to the audience, and Mithra really was running directly at me.


Tablo of course trolled us saying that they didn't do encores. It was enough that we started demanding the encore even before the finale to which he said: "It's not even over yet!" But we weren't daunted. Even though the finale, Fan, was absolutely amazing and a worthy ending. We chanted "encore!" until our already hoarse throats were... more so... and were blessed with two more favorites:

Born Hater


Omo, Mithra did look so cool coming out. I wished I had caught all of that on camera. Also, I wanted that signed sweat towel so bad. But as soon as he tied it into the knot, I knew I was too close, but then, I had interacted with them more, touching and almost touching while almost being trampled on several times, so it's ok. There would still be the meet and greet.

But it was still an exciting moment when Mithra threw it and the song finished and merged seamlessly into another all around favorite, Don't Hate Me.


Then the concert was over, but I still had the meet and greet. It would be me and five others who were strangers, but family at the same time, after we had been here together through such an epic concert. There would be a picture I knew, but that we would also interact with them on such a personal level was too good to be true. Yet it was. We hugged them. THEY initiated the hugs! I was super awkward, of course and couldn't say anything productive (I think I just repeated how amazing they were, which is true, but not that eloquent and doesn't really express my feelings) let alone make a decent pose. I'm just glad I didn't look quite as awkward as I felt.

I don't want to share the picture, since there are others besides me in it, but I do have to point out Tablo being a creeper in the back.


That's my shoulder on the bottom right. That's right, I was so close to Tukutz our shoulders were touching (internal screaming).

There was literal external screaming after we left and we were handed our signed posters. The full weight of what had just happened hit us, and my new friend (who I had met while waiting in line to have our picture taken together) and I squealed like teenagers. I have no idea how young she was, just seemingly younger than me, but it's been a while since I've been a teenager, but fangirling knows no age and this was truly a fangirl worthy night.


I've loved every concert I've ever been to, and they've all been worth the trip. Destination K-pop is a fun thing, I will continue to broaden my horizons with new concerts and new cities. However, this will probably stay at the top of one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I was already a forever fan, but now it's sealed. Deal sealed. I might have to be an eternal fan. Basically Epik High is just.... the best. 😍😝😭😍 All the emotions in one night. 😻😹😻😹