Wednesday, April 24, 2019

322. Devilish Joy 마성의 기쁨 (2018) Korean

Choi Jin Hyuk, Song Ha Yoon, Hoya, Lee Joo Yeon

Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A+

I was literally in the middle of an episode of this when the horrific tragedy of Drama Fever's demise happened. It wasn't one of the shows that I missed the most, but I definitely wanted to finish it before I stopped caring about the characters for the sad mopey episodes. But sadly, that's what happened. I only had like 6ish episodes left, but even when it became available on Viki, it still took me forever to finish them. I was down to 2.5 episodes when I just forced myself to make it a priority and finish it. So, it was hard to give it an honest rating, really. I feel like a 6 is probably what it deserves, but based on how much I struggled here at the end, my initial reaction would have been a 4. But really, 6 is probably more accurate... right?

I mean, I knew what I was getting into right away. Stories where the heroes get a terminal illness in the first 2 episodes aren't going to end happy. If they do, then they're not going to end realistically. Some times they just Uncontrollably Fond you in the gut and you have to be okay with that sort of ending. This was completely set up for another Uncontrollably Fond. Why did I do it to myself? Same reason. Choi Jin Hyuk is hot and Song Ha Yoon is adorable. Also, Hoya stole the show. He plays the perfect spoiled chaebol puppy. You love him, but he's also an idiot who can't live without his mom's money.

This isn't really a spoiler when most of you aren't interested or have finished this long ago, right? Right...


So, we start with top star Gi Bbeum meeting medical chaelbol Ma Seong and falling in love. Then tragic accident separates them, only she doesn't know why he didn't show up, and then she gets caught up in a scandal that ruins her career. Three years later, they meet again, but he doesn't remember her, because he had amnesia (hahaha, why do I do this to myself?). It's worse than that, he has short term memory loss on top of that, as a result of the accident that stopped him from coming three years ago.

Sounds pretty stereotypical and makjang-y, right? Yeah, I guess it is. He has trauma upon trauma, and she's got the whole world against her. We have an evil aunt, an evil CEO, and the annoying star/love rival (who I actually loved). But we also have a whole lot of cute. It is worth it because more than all the drama is a bunch of cute. We get to see the main couple fall in love over and over. We get to see them react in more responsible ways than normal, at least on her part. He keeps on trying to be a noble idiot and she keeps not letting him. But then he keeps not letting him too, because more than he wants to protect her from his inevitable death, he wants to be with her. That is a bit refreshing.

However, I watched more for Hoya and his romance than anything else.  His natural sense of entitlement vs. the top star bitca was very entertaining. Especially when no one knew he was a chaebol, they all just thought he was a wannabe star. Their fighting was often more entertaining than the main couples drama. Then their reluctant realizations that they liked each other when they were clearly chasing after a main lead was hilarious.

But the freshest thing in my memory is, unfortunately, the last three episodes where Choi Jin Hyuk is dying and then hiding it from anyone we care about. Only the villains know? That sucks. Then we have the draggy year gap nonsense. It was really hard to care when I had no momentum. I don't think I would have cared anyway. I hate the year gaps, especially when they mean magical US medical magic. Um... ok. I'm not 100% sure what happened, because it was hard to pay attention at that point. I don't think I am spoiling much at this point because it's been over for so long. But at least it wasn't a sad ending.... right? So, not the best, but still full of cute. Although it's also a little bit disturbing when he's like twice as big as her. Sometimes I was worried she'd get crushed in a hug, or he'd break in half stooping to kiss. But the chemistry was good anyhow. It's like a fluffy sad, which is weird, but cool.