Wednesday, April 3, 2019

320. Martial Universe 武动乾坤 (2018) Chinese

Yang Yang, Zhang Tianai, Wang Likun, Wu Chun

Drama Rating: Dropped     Neck Score: A+

So this is different. I don't think I've done one of these for a while, because I am a finisher and I don't want to give up when I've already invested 20 hours in a drama. But I know I will probably never get back to this drama, so I'm officially dropping it and writing a review of it to the point where I just couldn't get myself to go on. I liked the premise of this drama, I liked most of the characters, I like all the actors, but I just couldn't stick with all the stupidity and drama. I like that the main character Lin Dong starts off as basically a loser and then does the classic fighting anime level up to become the best. But it was just taking too long. It's okay to have heroes who start off as losers, but have them start improving sooner instead of dragging it out. Yang Yang was doing a good job of it too at first. I totally forgot he was the same guy as in Love 020, who was a "Mr. Perfect" type. I'm not saying become perfect overnight, but it got really draggy seeing the same thing over and over. He can't win by dumb luck and the sacrifice of his comrades for forever. If you're going to Dragon Ball it up, then actually level up, dude.


I wasn't sure who the endgame girl was. Honestly, I was team priestess girl and thought the Daoist daughter girl was an annoying spoiled brat, but the more I watched the more I got afraid that the two immature annoying people were the actual leads. I wouldn't mind that if they weren't both consistently annoying and immature. Like that was ok for the first 10 episodes, but if you are still the same level of immaturity in the 20-30s, I can't take it anymore.

The villains were way too OP. This was probably also because all the heroes were idiots. There was this evil temptress type illusionist Yimo Lady who kept manipulating everyone and they would fall into her traps all the time. She was masquerading as one of the higher ups of a sect too, the one that Fahrenheit Boy (Wu Chun) belonged too, and because of this everyone keeps trusting her, even though she is clearly a bad guy. It's so obvious, but everyone kept falling into the same stupid traps she sets over and over, because they were all annoying and immature.... still. I just wanted to see some progress, and less evil lady winning.

Right about the time she almost killed my favorite character, I needed a break. Then that break turned into a month, and then months... It was back in September that I had to stop. Seriously, this tweet from September marked the last time I watched it. I set it aside on my lunch break at work and could never pick it up again. I was on episode 25 or 26, I think. From what I saw on Twitter, it didn't get any better anytime soon. So, really all this time was just me putting off this post, because I really don't think I could have gone back. It was too annoying. So, now it's official. I can't even with this drama, so I'm dropping it so I don't ever have to.