Thursday, January 17, 2019

331. Accidentally in Love 惹上冷殿下 (2018) Chinese

Sun Yi Ning, Guo Fiction, Ma Li, Zhao Yi Qin, Zhou Mo, Cheng Mu Xuan

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

I was needing more dramas, and some of my T-List were talking about how much they liked this one, so I started it and then quickly burned through it. It was just what I needed to contrast the other dramas I was watching, which are full of crazy. Not that this one wasn't full of crazy in its own way. The fluffy, ridiculous way. But if I had to describe this drama in one word, it would be "cute." The OTP was adorable and I liked pretty much everyone in the show. There were some stupid people sure, like the bad behavior enabling noona who popped in to escalate the drama near the end. But on the whole everyone was pretty likable. That's not saying that I didn't have moments where I got stressed because people kept hurting my muffins and it took way too long for the muffins to finally get together, because that totally happened. But I also love the slow progression of the relationship from enemies, to frenemies, to friends, to best friends, to lovers. Isn't that the way its just supposed to happen. Especially when the characters are so consistent when it happens. Even when they were dating they treated each other like before. Teasing and bickering, but still having each other's back.


Ok, it is very formulaic. Everything is so stereotypical. I'm starting to worry about the drama male lead population's obsessive overreactions to people lying to them. I understand being pissed, but they always take it to the extreme. There are the tragic backstories, the redemption of former antagonists (including parents and other relatives), and the inevitable making everyone a couple so no one is left sad. But what made it work for me is that they were unapologetic about all that. They just had fun with it, pointed stuff out even (like how pathetic the second male lead was at times in his being the ultimate wing man) and how stupid the male lead is at times, especially in his inability to recognize his girl when all she has is freckles, glasses, and different hair. That, apparently, is the ultimate disguise. No one will recognize you if you put fake freckles and glasses on.

The couple I probably shipped the most was the bad boy and her best friend. I know he's just a kid, but that kid is very attractive, and oozed charisma, and I loved how she was normally quiet, but called him out all the time. Then I realized I had seen that kid before in King is Not Easy, where he was a cute nice guy, and it was a mind blown moment. But I also liked, although I was also confused about, how the orange haired boy stepped up and made the crazy girl less crazy, unlike her bitca crazy enabler friend.

Anyway, it's a cute, fluffy drama with some crazy in it, but ultimately if you fast forward some of the stupid parts, it's fine. There aren't that many. You'll know what to skip and you won't miss anything. Then the cute totally outweighs it anyway, because it really had me grinning at times. Plus, any excuse to watch those cute ears and infectious smiles of the OTP is a good one. They really were all just the cutest, even if the plot wasn't the most original. I liked it.