Sunday, January 13, 2019

329. Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter 계룡선녀전 (2018) Korean

Moon Chae Won, Ko Du Shim, Yoon Hyun Min, Seo Ji Hoon, Jeon Soo Jin

Drama Rating: 6/10     Neck Score: A+

This one surprised me with how it went many times. The first two episodes were supremely cheesy and everyone was overacting and it was borderline stupid. I wasn't sure if I could take Fish Bangs (Yoon Hyun Min) acting like he couldn't act for 16 episodes. I wasn't sure I was okay enough with the fairy tale when the "Woodcutter" was such a jerk. But I guess that could be true to life, IDK. Then the next few episodes completely changed my mind and I was decently hooked. It wasn't my favorite drama, but I certainly appreciated it more. I especially loved the bromance between Fish Bangs and that cute little TA. But then the genre or direction or whatever changed again....

It really started spinning our heads with the who is who and completely complicated backstory around the fairy tale. It obviously wasn't the classic retelling when the woodcutter died before she could get her wings back and go to heaven. Then it went to a bunch of celestial beings backstory drama that I wasn't expecting at first. I liked it... at first.



But the ending failed to meet my expectations. I was all for a twist where the woodcutter doesn't get the girl, but then I was also ok either way, because I did like all the characters. But it seemed like everything fell apart when we got to the climax, when everyone knew who they were and things got crazy. Although I must say that the Fish Bangs looked mighty handsome while everything was on fire and him being done with all this crap. But as a redemption story I have to say that it was sloppy and a lot could have been avoided if people had just told people things earlier. But I guess they had to learn through experience and almost burn the world down before they could stop "playing the victim." Whatever.

The worst part is that the climax is in episode 15 and then there still is a full length episode 16, and it is as boring as hell. Seriously, I can't phrase that any other way. It was killing me to watch it. I was so bored. Nothing was happening and to make matters worse, Fish Bangs AND Moon Chae Won were barely in that last episode. There was an unnecessary year jump (a trope that I wish would die forever) and a lot of people waiting and "wrapping up loose ends" for the characters I didn't care about. I almost baled. It was painful and dreadfully cheesy. I physically cringed and cried at points, like I was Hongbin or something.

So the ending probably lowered it a point or so. The other point deductor was the unnecessary characters, or the three bumbling other celestial beings who were just a time suck. They were annoying and lame and really didn't add anything to the plot. Waste of space! Which is actually hard to say because I did love all three of those actors. Also, they were the ones who made me cringe in the end, so minus more points!!! I also got annoyed at the second lead girl who is another actress that I love, and her hair was totally cute, but her character also fell prey to the overacting/overreacting trap and it got ridiculous at points. But I still love her.

I realize that this was a webtoon first, but like most adaptations, I am sure that it probably failed to actually capture and represent it well. I would be interested in reading it though. It will probably be much better, just like Cheese in the Trap or Orange Marmalade, where I loved the webtoons but kinda hated the dramas. Anyway, it was good in the middle, and the end was ok, but that last episode nearly killed me. You don't need it, just skip it. It's a much better 15 episode drama.