Sunday, January 20, 2019

326. The Beauty Inside 뷰티 인사이드 (2018) Korean

Seo Hyun Jin, Lee Min Ki, Lee Da Hee, Ahn Jae Hyun, Lee Tae Ri, Moon Ji In

Drama Rating: 7/10     Neck Score: A+

This was one of the dramas I was the most upset about losing legal access to with the death of DF. But I wanted to finish it enough to find another way, it just took me a while to do it. You loose a lot of steam when you lose your streaming platform, apparently (fist shakes towards those responsible for throwing off my groove and ruining a lot of people's lives in many ways). Anyway, to the actual drama. I was interested in this, having watched the movie a while ago. There were obvious differences in the premise right away. The roles were switched. It was the female lead who had the body changing problem and had her change just once a month for a week instead of a different person every time they sleep. And instead of being a normal person who loved her, our male lead had face blindness on top of it. Well, face blindness seems to be the latest trend in weird problems, starting around the time of Girl Who Sees Smells? Sometime around then, I think. Well, since then I've seen everywhere as a replacement of amnesia almost. Anyway, this wasn't the only drama that had it during it's airing time. 100 Days My Prince also had a face blind character. But I digress.



The face blindness thing wasn't just a throw in though, it made some pretty decent sense as to why he would be attracted to her, since he would naturally have a greater capacity to see "the beauty inside" her, which is the main point of the love story. He can't see what she looks like, so he loves her personality, and he is someone who can recognize her and love her no matter what she looks like. Match made in heaven, right?

Well, for the most part it was. It had a decently strong cast of characters. I love both Seo Hyun Jin and Lee Min Ki, so I would have watched it even without the promising premise of the movie I liked. I also liked all the side peeps. I love how versatile Lee Da Hee is, she can play all her characters with a wonderful charm. I might have been more invested in her romance with Fish Cakes (Ahn Jae Hyun) than with the main couple in the last couple of episodes. Because, you know, nothing is perfect and this drama went the way that most go, down hill in the last couple of episodes.

It's not like they didn't set up the direction it was going to go in. They showed us in the first four episodes how intertwined their fates were. That two-faced cruel fate thing. It brings people together, and then somehow also drives them apart when the total truth is found out (the can't handle the truth!!- they never can). Then there is a year gap where everything is magically solved through some miracle surgery in America. The couple is never in contact for the year, but then magically is able to start up right where they left off with little to no awkwardness. And the side characters for some reason have also made little to no progress on their relationship, when they should be theoretically be engaged or married by this point, at least a lot more solidly dating anyway (it's been a year, why are they still just flirting!!!).

I just summed up the plot of the last few episodes of many a drama. It also happened to be the gap between 14 and 15, which meant this was all happening with TWO episodes rather than one. This had me worried, and it was true. The ending was VERY slow. It was also very cute, but at much too slow a pace for me. However, I still think it was much better done than most dramas that pull this move. Also, I wonder how I would have felt about it if I had watched it at the pace intended. Watching it as it came out, week by week, instead of selected mini binge session of when I remembered to download and watch it.

Still, it started off stronger than it ended, although it still ended pretty well, just a little to neat and preachy for me. The last two episodes and what lead up to them... so really the last four episodes were very contrived and rote. But it's still all the characters we know and love, so at least that was consistent, after the tropey breakup and magical fix up. So I'm not dissatisfied, just a little disappointed. Still a good drama though.