Tuesday, December 4, 2018

328. Stranger 비밀의 숲 (2017) Korean

Cho Seung Woo, Bae Doo Na, Yoo Jae Myung, Lee Joon Hyuk, Shin Hye Sun, Lee Kyu Hyung, Park Sung Geun

Drama Rating: 9.5/10     Neck Score: A

This is another drama that I was really tempted to give a 10 to, because it is really, really good. It had me guessing the whole time. It was less predicable while still having a solid story. We just had to figure out things along with our little emotionally stunted hero. Ohmygersh! I loved Hwang Shi Mok!!! He was so perfect! So subtle and good, none of that stoic robot garbage we usually get with similar type characters. I loved the slow and subtle relationship between him and Han Yeo Jin. She was so understanding and they got along so well! I'm shipping them still, big time. Everytime he had that little tiny smile (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!). That is a well written relationship.


I basically loved everyone in it. You had to, you had no idea who the "bag guy" was. I mean you obviously had the evil corrupt people (who were obviously meant to be hated) but who was the killer? I was never 100% sure until the end. But even if I was suspecting someone, I still ended liking them. Because it was complex, nothing was black and white, it was all grey and kept you guessing. It was honestly stressful for me at times, because I just didn't know! Then you had things, plot twists, coming out of nowhere, surprising me. Is a not bad way. Like, plot twists that are shocking but make sense. Mmmm, so good.

I got so attached to the special investigation team, and even just the mystery. If everything wasn't solved, by golly, words would be said. I just wanted them to succeed! It had good pacing throughout. There was a bit that was a little slow for me in the middle, when things were getting bad and they were losing, but maybe that was more induced by my impatience to see the end of it. I watched it really fast- as fast as my schedule would allow- and so that probably increased my impatience. I couldn't handle it, but I couldn't stop? But then it picked right back up with a new piece of evidence came in and they got back on track and all was well.

So basically it was just one of the best. If you like crime/mystery/law shows, I highly recommend it. If you don't normally like them, this one is fantastic and will likely be the exception to the rules. It's about prosecutors and police detectives, but it isn't bogged down with a bunch of crappy, boring courtroom scenes (a plus in my book) and it shows more cooperation between the police and the prosecutors, which is nice. Usually it's either one or the other. The cops are the main characters, so the prosecutors are corrupt or vice versa. This one was more realistic. There were goodies and baddies on both sides, and people to love and hate on both sides. It was just well written, thought out, and absolutely fun. Watch it.